1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've pretty much decided to build my own 1911. I thought about having another rifle built. I seem to be happest when I'm working on my own guns.
To get started I'm going to order Kuhnhausens shop manual #2 unless you guys think I need both. I going to need alittle help, so I'm sure wants it gets started I'll have alot of questions. Any advice on what special tools I'll need?
I don't have a mill so I plan on ordering the slide with all the cuts I want.
Thanks for the help

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
THe tools you need are going to depend on the parts you get. Example, if you buy a drop in trigger, hammer, sear, and disconnector, you may not need a jig and stones, a drop in barrel means you may not need a lug cutter, etc..
Keyword term is MAY NOT

Some universal tools are files and sandpaper. The good news on the parts is that the most expensive doesn't mean they are the best. Look at Caspian for the frame and slide ( you can have them fit it for you ), KArt EZ fit for the barrel, and EGW for just about everything else.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Shotwell

I found both Kuhnhausen books very informative. I would recommend them both. The biggest help for me was the AGI DVD "The ultimate 1911 video course" volumes 1 and 2. Being able to watch someone work as he talks you through it was great. If you only buy one item to learn from, for my money it is the DVD's. Of course this forum is a wealth of info. Keep in mind some advice is better than others. You will get a feel for who to listen to.

Make sure you have a sturdy workbench and vise to hold you pistol before you start. The list of tools can be extensive, but it really depends on what amount of custom work you are doing. If you are fitting a barrel you need a few specific tools to do the job correctly.
I think it is important to have a good plan for the pistol you want to build and then you can buy the tools depending on the work you want to do.

At a minimum you will need a few files
sear jig
india and ceramic stones.....

man thats a tough question for me to answer. the list just goes on and on.

Finally, Big Jon wrote a sticky about this subject. "HOW TO GET STARTED WORKING ON YOUR OWN 1911. READ IT.

Mario G.

·
Registered
6,322 Posts
First build

I would recommend the match grade quality Kart EZ fit for a first build, since you can fit the barrel yourself using hand tools. Down the road, if you want to fit an oversized match grade barrel, special tools will help. This may include a lug cutter kit, and a special file to help fit the upper lugs to the slide.

The Kart EZ fit barrels can be ordered as 5 inch barrels in .45acp or 9mm. I have not seen an EZ fit barrel for a Commander length slide, but they may offer these as well.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys.
I'm planning on using Caspain reciever and slide. I'm leaning too the Kart Easy fit barrel. I've done trigger work on 1911 before and I can get sear stoning ficture. I may just by a fire control set.
Thinks I have.
Sold bench and vise, although I would like another.
I should have plenty of stones.
I'm short on files. Is there a good set I can buy?
I'll get grip safety jig.

What about a frame holding ficture?

Do the manuals have the step by step on frame fitting?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Thanks guys.
I'm planning on using Caspain reciever and slide. I'm leaning too the Kart Easy fit barrel. I've done trigger work on 1911 before and I can get sear stoning ficture. I may just by a fire control set.
Thinks I have.
Sold bench and vise, although I would like another.
I should have plenty of stones.
I'm short on files. Is there a good set I can buy? The Brownells Hammer hook squaring file and barrel lug file has a lot of uses. Also get some Nicholson needle files.I'll get grip safety jig.

What about a frame holding ficture? Get the mag well filler, wrap thick leather around your frame and put in the vise. Do the manuals have the step by step on frame fitting? Lots of good info if you do a search, but for 50 extra bucks, Caspian will do a great job. Thanks
/

1 - 7 of 7 Posts