1911Forum banner

Getting ready to order reloading outfit, HELP!

548 22
OK, I'm taking the plunge here. I'm getting ready to order a Lee Pro 1000 for .45ACP and 1000 bullets from Precision, since I like the idea of the moly coating for less $$$ than FMJ. What is the advantage of going with a 200RN grain over a 230RN grain bullet? Were talking about target practice/plinking here. No competetion, no defensive use. One of my .45's has the shorter barrel, so I was thinking about the 200 grain for less recoil. Your thoughts?? BTW, cannot afford to go with a Dillon 550, so it's going to be the Lee 1000.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
32 Posts
I went through this same process this past summer, What to get. Everyone will say get a Dillon, and I agree that the Dillon is the best progressive reloader made. I could not see spending that kind of money so I really looked at the Lee products including the Lee Pro1000. After hearing all of the warnings people were giving me, I became more questionable about the Lee products. I then heard about the Turret Press. Simple, effective, quick (150-250 rounds per hour), and CHEAP. I got my setup complete with AutoDisk powder measure update kit, carbide dies for both 9mm and .45ACP, taper crimp dies for both calibers, and powder scale for $180 from MidwayUSA. I have been very happy with everything. I am currently borrowing a friends Midway tumbler, but they are relatively inexpensive. My next step is to get into casting bullets using Lee dies. Before you buy anything, make sure you check out MidwayUSA.com

Mark

· Registered
32 Posts
I got the 4 hole turret press and factory crimp die. Lee says that all of their dies manufactured after a certain date all have the factory crimp feature in them. But the big bonus of using the factory crimp die is that it resizes the round after the bullet is pressed in which depending on the type of bullet and condition of the brass can be fairly substantial. I have not had any FTF/FTE since purchasing the die. Prior to using the factory crimp die, I had a lot of FTF problems with reloads from a single stage press. I know that this equipment is not Dillon, but for the money I am VERY satisfied.

Mark

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.