1911Forum banner

Getting ready to order reloading outfit, HELP!

548 22
OK, I'm taking the plunge here. I'm getting ready to order a Lee Pro 1000 for .45ACP and 1000 bullets from Precision, since I like the idea of the moly coating for less $$$ than FMJ. What is the advantage of going with a 200RN grain over a 230RN grain bullet? Were talking about target practice/plinking here. No competetion, no defensive use. One of my .45's has the shorter barrel, so I was thinking about the 200 grain for less recoil. Your thoughts?? BTW, cannot afford to go with a Dillon 550, so it's going to be the Lee 1000.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
275 Posts
I won't belabor the problems I have had with the Lee Pro 1000, other than to say I consider it dangerous. If you are interested, do a search for previous posts.

I would recommend a single stage press for a beginning reloader, but anything is better than the 1000.

The difference between the 200 grain and 230 grain bullets is not great. I use 200's because they are cheap and plentiful, but have used lots of 230's with satisfaction.

Moly coating is a matter of serious discussion among riflemen, but in .45 auto pistols, I don't think it offers either benefit or detriment. Most of us end up shooting plain old lead bullets, and getting the cheapest we can find. In the .45, it doesn't matter much, and cheaper means more shooting.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.