1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all
i'm getting curious about idpa and was just wondering about how you get started. after some checking it looks like "the range" in oxford nc is the closest range to me. is this just a show up and get started ordeal or do i need to join idpa and shoot one of the classifier cof's first? does anyone have any experience with this particular range? i've heard its a pretty top notch place.

as far as equipment goes i have my carry 1911, a vm-ll holster and a couple of wilson mags, and i have recently finished developing a target handload (win primer, 5.4gr w231, 200gr ranier rn @ just under 800fps) is there a power factor that you have to meet for ammo? if so how do you go about determining that you have met it?

thanks in advance
ryan

·
Registered
27,694 Posts
PF is bullet weight X velocity / 1000. It should be 165 or higher. Yours is too low but most local matches don't chrono and sure aren't going to turn away a new guy for it. YOu need to get that bullet going at least 825 fps but add more for leeway. Not all chrono's are the same.

See if your local club has a website. If so, contact the match director with an email and let him know you want to get started. I always told guys to let me know if they were new and I would run them in my squad to help them along with gun handling and the rules.

I would pick up another mag and a double mag holder if I were you.

·
Premium Member
3,907 Posts
1911tle,
I recommend downloading the IDPA rule book and reading it cover to cover. It shouldn't take too long and will answer alot of equipment questions. All you really need is a (reliable) gun, 5-6 magazines, a holster, concelament garment and a double mag pouch. As BillD mentioned, your local club will likely let you shoot before you join IDPA as well. The beauty of IDPA is it is not an equipment race. I've shot IPSC and it wasn't my cup o' tea, but it was fun. The only way I had fun was to shoot my M&P9 (17+1) to keep with the 27 rd .38 Supers....You don't HAVE to shoot the classifier before competing as they usually only held a few times a year but you will be put into Novice your first few shoots. My club here in El Paso usually has about 15 shooters anyway (our match this am was cancelled due to snow!!) so Division is generally how it's broken down, at least here. My club doesn't bust out the chrono for every match, but if I were to shoot over in Las Cruces, I would definitely need to check everything.

Overall, it's a great bunch of guys that WANT you to shoot with them and ultimately join IDPA. It adds structure to your range sessions and gives you things to work on. Don't be intimidated, you may be surprised how well you do. I hope you enjoy it.

·
Registered
21,982 Posts
You are truly fortunate being in reach of The Range. Frank Glover puts on some of the best matches in the country. I have not shot there, but have shot matches with stages he designed, set up, and ran, and they were challenging, interesting, and fun.

http://www.gloryroad.net/~idpa/

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the heads up. looks like i'm pretty much on the way as far as equipment goes. if i remember correctly i've still got some leaveway on that handload, i'll have to check the data again. i read part of the rulebook last night and printed off the classifier some yesterday, some of it was already part of my normal practice regiment. basically i'm looking for something that i can work on shoot, move, cover. i'm getting kind of bored with firing line shooting.

thanks for the advice.
ryan

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
Shot at The Range last month. Little far to drive every month, but I plan on going back more often. Where in NC are you? There are a couple of matches within 100 miles for me in Greensboro.
www.ncsection.org
That's were I found out about what is local. I shoot pins 3rd sat of the month a little south of Greensboro if you're interested. PM me and I'll see about getting directions.

Sir Walter Gun Club does some excellent matches also. Not that far from Oxford. Tracy

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i'm located in clayton now, recently moved from apex/cary. been down here in nc for two years now.

i shoot down at pdhsc in raleigh sometimes, never shot an idpa match there though. i watched a little one evening when i was practicing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts