1911Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Oh they buy them most guns in the hands of gangbangers from Chicago come from clean bangers taking a trip down to Tennessee. They buy a trunk full and sneak them back to Chicago. You can find a bust in Mt Vernon a couple times a month detailing this. So saying all criminal’s gun are stolen are ridiculous. When the ATF gets off their butts and tracks down the scofflaws another takes their place.

I don't see any post that say all of the firearms obtained by criminals are stolen. Maybe I missed it. I do see a few that mention that method. I am sure that a lot of them are obtained in that way.

You mentioned another.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Oh they buy them most guns in the hands of gangbangers from Chicago come from clean bangers taking a trip down to Tennessee. They buy a trunk full and sneak them back to Chicago. You can find a bust in Mt Vernon a couple times a month detailing this. So saying all criminal’s gun are stolen are ridiculous. When the ATF gets off their butts and tracks down the scofflaws another takes their place.

No. The overwhelming majority of guns used in crimes in Illinois were sold in Illinois; easy to look up and confirm.

Larry

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
So we regulate 80% lowers. Do we regulate 60% lowers? How about raw forgings? Milling machines? 3D printers? Blueprints????????

We've raised a nation of folks willing to kneel and ask permission...

Larry
“If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains set lightly upon you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” – Samuel Adams

·
Premium Member
1,948 Posts
Tracing will only work if those serial numbers are on a register somewhere. How do you force those intending to break the law, to follow the law?

Morons making guns with the intention of selling them to those who are not allowed to buy them, are criminals.
+1911
Criminals don't care about the law if they did they would not be criminals.

It seems like the anti gunners would like to keep passing laws until all gun owners are criminals. Little by little and inch by inch until we have to turn them in or become criminals ourselves. That is why they want serial numbers on every gun to make it easier to track them down when they ban them.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Well tracing a serialized weapon back to who sold it last or who owned it last is sort of like, too late and too little, as the perpetrator has already used it to commit his/her crimes. A unserialized weapon doesn't help law enforcement any after the fact either. With ATF selling hundreds of serialized weapons to the drug cartels, it sort of kills off the entire serial number thing. Anyway as far as I can tell, a serial number only helps the lawyers to determine who to sue in the end. Most criminals get stolen guns, so the actual owner needs to report it of course. Gun stores seems to be the latest way to get guns, they break in with a smash and grab all they can and run for it. Of course in Chicago the thieves like to hit the train cars and steal the guns out of the train cars no less.

Lately it is the gun store that tells the law enforcement if they sold a gun to someone who used it to commit a crime. Law enforcement doesn't really have the resources anymore to trace a gun. Thus using the serial number winds up being a waste of time for the most part for law enforcement. Only the gun manufacturer uses it for warranty or recall purposes.

So basically the serial numbers only benefit the government should they, one day, decide to start confiscating guns. They will likely have to have a gun registration scheme running for it though. But I guess they really do keep the records even if the law says they can't. I remember the FBI going after more than 4000 people to turn in their guns or else recently. So they are keeping records.
this

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
So we regulate 80% lowers. Do we regulate 60% lowers? How about raw forgings? Milling machines? 3D printers? Blueprints????????

We've raised a nation of folks willing to kneel and ask permission...

Larry
What are they going to do to the people that can turn a block of aluminum into a 1911 frame. Or a M16 lower. Will they outlaw milling machines ? The government can’t stop drugs from pouring across the southern boarder. They will not be able to stop firearms any better.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
What are they going to do to the people that can turn a block of aluminum into a 1911 frame. Or a M16 lower. Will they outlaw milling machines ? The government can’t stop drugs from pouring across the southern boarder. They will not be able to stop firearms any better.
All jokes aside, I heard California has attempted to illegalize 3D printers and desk top milling machines like the Ghost Gunner. No matter how many times prohibition fails, some people will never learn...

·
Premium Member
Every firearm I own, I built myself.
2,108 Posts
For the record, you can build your own car as well.
Yes you can. But you can't register it or drive it on the roads without a legitimate VIN number and tag.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts