1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some opinions/experience with them fancy ghost ring type sights for the 1911 I see in Brownells' catalog. Novaks and a few others. I'm getting to the point where I can't get a decent sight picture with my old eyes, don't have the dough for eye transplants and red dot sights aren't exactly practical on a carry gun.

Thanks.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I'll be interested to responses to this question also. I'm getting to the point where I'm having a problem deciding which of the 2 front sights I see to use!

·
Super Moderator
736 Posts
Instead of the ghost ring sights you might want to try fiber optic sights. Even though you can't see the front sight clearly you can pick up the dot because it is so bright. Most of my customers are buying them because their eyes are not as good as they used to be. I've got some pictures and some more info on my website.

------------------
Bob Londrigan
Brazos Custom Gunworks
254-622-2245
http://www.brazoscustom.com

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by Brazos Custom Gunworks:
Instead of the ghost ring sights you might want to try fiber optic sights.
Thanks for the pointer. After reading up on them on your site I wonder how they'd stand up to everyday carry. They seem to need a tad more care and feeding than iron sights. On the other hand, they may be the only practical way to go.

·
Registered
585 Posts
IMO the best iron sights for old, tired eyes are the Ashley Express either standard or big dot. If you can't see the Ashley big dot, your eyes are bad enought you probably should have your seeing eye dog packing your pistol.

·
Super Moderator
736 Posts
LenB,

The fiber optic sights are pretty sturdy. The fiber is supported in the middle and doesn't break easily. If it does you still have a front sight just as good as what you normally have. The fiber is also easily replaced. The one drawback is that it will snag clothing easier, you want to make sure your holster covers the sight.

------------------
Bob Londrigan
Brazos Custom Gunworks
254-622-2245
http://www.brazoscustom.com

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have been using D.R. Middlebrooks Pro-Sights for the last 6 months and really like the sight picture. It is essentially the same sight picture the Ashley's offer but more refined with a smaller fiber optic front sight. In addition they are adjustable and strongly constructed.

John

1 - 8 of 8 Posts