1911Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
23,252 Posts
Nice pic. I have a Colt M1991A1 that exhibits the second problem; hook tip climbs the bevel, camming the hook away from the rim. I had swapped out the factory (MIM) extractor, which did not have this problem, and installed a C&S extractor, which did. I poured over Kuhnhausen's manuals, looking for a minimum hook depth dimension, so I could reduce or eliminate the problem. I never did find what I thought was a specific hook dimension, but I extrapolated from the dimensions that were given, then shortened and recontoured the hook. There was still a bit of bevel contact, but I left it alone at that point. 4000 rounds later, the hook snapped off. I'd already lost the hook off another C&S extractor, installed in their shop in a different gun, so I'm not sure about the cause/blame. I put an Ed Brown extractor in the Colt (which also climbs the case bevel) and it's still going strong, at about 1000 rounds.
There was a thread on LTW, about the hazards of dropping the slide on a chambered round, and how it will destroy the tension adjustment, or otherwise damage the extractor. One of the gunsmiths made a fixture, out of a cut-up slide, and then made a cam arrangement that was attached to a lathe or mill, so that when it was running, it would simulate the (over-)flexing that an extractor would experience when snapping over the rim of a chambered round. He ran the thing so it cycled the extractor 12,000 times, and there were no resulting changes in tension or dimension. If snapping the hook over a rim 12,000 times won't damage an extractor, I can't believe a bit of flex from a chambered round would wear it out or damage it. This assumes a properly-made extractor, of course.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.