1911Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
The contact to be careful of is Don't let the end of the barrel hit the tip of the extractor and Don't let the extractor snap over a round by dropping the slide over an already chambered round.

Sometimes you can't eliminate all the contact due to tolerance stacking... In those instances, the extractor won't be harmed (in my opinion) just by letting it kiss the bevel of the case, it's the ones that torque the end back everytime that need dressed. I read Ned's experiment too... pretty neat, and it raises new questions...

Another tip (pun intended) when you dress the tip of the extractor down use a sharpie and frequently check for contact. Also try to follow the same angle as that of the case's bevel, that will give you the best clearance and give you optimal hook depth (all things being equal).

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
Shotgun12 said:
..... The following is quoted from the thread link from the above post:

"Next, with the slide in hand, check the tension of the extractor by slipping a round up under the extractor claw against the breech face; the cartridge should be held in place by the claw."

The "claw" (hook) does not hold the cartridge in place, it only makes contact with the case (rim), as the empty is being ejected from the weapon. The portion of the extractor that "holds", or applies pressure to the case rim, is the 'belly', or notch area behind the hook.
I've also included a pic of my original SA extractor.

I'm sorry if my words don't match my drawing, but the photo shows what I mean as to where the case should touch the extractor.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.