1911Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a new RIA milspec and 4 gi mags...problem is the gi mags do to load, seems to stovepipe. This dissapoints me. I did alter one mag a bit and it seems to work (have not fired it yet, but will function by manually racking the slide)

Anyhow, has anyone else had simmilar problems. I will eventualy get other mags, but for now I would like to get these 4 working.

BTW, I was shooting magtech 230g hardball

Thanks!
andy

·
Registered
314 Posts
I haven't tried GI mags in my RIA yet but the included Novak mag and my extra CMC Shooting Star mags feed 100%.
Tomac

·
Registered
195 Posts
Ditto. I use CMC shooting stars, they run 100%. The mag that came with the RIA also works fine for me.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've had mine for awhile now and I got GI mags after I put about 100 rounds through and it works great with GI mags. The only issue I had was that it was not real reliable till after about 250 rounds but very reliable since. I put mainly my reloads, Winchester white box, S&B and UMC. If you are having problems and you don't have many rounds through you might try firing more rounds and polishing the feed ramp.

Good Luck,

Todd

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
GI mags meaning original government supply with markings at the floor plate? Or one of those gunshow specials with no markings (they ussually go for $7 or so)?
Mine works perfect with original vintage WW2 mags (two-tone) without a hitch. Those gunshow special ones are just pure junk. Don't waste your money on them.
Try it with quality mags first, don't do any modification on your gun yet. It might not be needed.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've got over 1000 rounds through my RIA with the Novak mag and also 300 with 2 generic $8.00 mags shooting all kinds of reloads and hardball ammo...no failures to report as of yet.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They are actual GI mags....with stamping on the floor plate and all. Anyhow, I ws shooting magtech hardball. I am certainly not going to alter the gun yet...the cheapo mags...maybe, the novak works flawlessly.

Feed ramp actually looks pretty polished already...don't think I'll touch it for a while.

Didn't get home before dark today, so I've not had a chance to try the mags again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have an RIA and I agree with the guys who recommend CMC shooting stars...that's the only thing I use now. Don't waste your time on cheap mags...you get what you pay for!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts