1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question for you all. I recently ran into a RR 1943 A1 that has the NM barrel, NM Bushing, alum. trigger and the correct sights (Funky front with adjustable rear). Slide is a Colt with a four digit number stamped before finish on right side. Looks just like Clawsons and Harrison books show. One thing... It has a dimpling on the front strap. I have seen examples with checkers but not this...thoughts? Its at a local shop.

------------------
Thanks
Ty
www.CoolGunSite.com

·
Administrator
74,343 Posts
Using a center punch to put a bunch of ugly-looking nicks all over the front strap was the Army's "poor-man's" method of stippling. Other guns received a somewhat more glamorous addition of emery paper glued to the front strap. The early National Match guns looked like a total abortion compared to the later ones, but all that mattered was that they put 'em all in the 10-ring.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks DSK,
So you have seen these come that way? Is the four digits stamped into the slide typical also? They are pre finish and dont match the SN or NM numbers on the barrel/bushing. I am on the market for a GI NM but have not seen any examples that dont leave me scratching my head

Thanks again,
Ty www.CoolGunSite.com

[This message has been edited by Ty (edited 04-06-2001).]

·
Administrator
74,343 Posts
The pseudo-stippling on the frontstrap is normal for these guns, but I'm not sure what the four-digit number is for. The only thing to be careful of regarding NM .45s is that a lot were cobbled together in someone's basement instead of a military arsenal. If you get more info on the gun you might want to run it by the guys over on the 1911 collector's forum at the following address:
http://www.gunandknife.com/cgi-bin/boards/1911config.pl?

Some of the guys on there are real die-hard collectors and keep the serial numbers of every GI 1911 made inside their heads.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
I'm not a collector, but this sounds more like the basement job, I didn't think Remington-Rand made the National Match pistols, but they certainly wouldn't have made them in 1943, as there were other, more pressing matters that year.

But if you don't mind the looks, it's very possible it could be a good accurate shooter with all those NM parts.

·
Administrator
74,343 Posts
Nobody made National Match pistols for the military, not even Colt. A few NM commercials were bought in 1942 when the government bought up all the available Colts in inventory for military use, but that's it. The National Match pistols were all made up using existing .45s at the military armories (primarily Springfield) during the 1950s and 1960s for use in the matches at Camp Perry.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Clawson and Harrison document the NMs very well and have no issue with the RR production or the year, Just the stippling vs. checkering. I have onle seen reference to checkering as seen on some Airforce NMs.
Thanks All,
Ty

------------------
Thanks
Ty
www.CoolGunSite.com

1 - 7 of 7 Posts