1911Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after resisting it for a while, I've decided to change out the FLGR. However, I don't want just any GI plug. Recommendations for unique plugs are very welcomed here, as are pictures. Thanks.

·
Banned
7,485 Posts
Ed Brown parts from Brownells:

087-881-001 881-STD 1911 RECOIL SPRING PLUG
087-882-001 882-STD 1911 RECOIL SPRING GUIDE, BLUE

These are the parts in my Loaded (replacing the horrible full length recoil spring guide).

If your pistol is stainless steel just get a stainless plug, the guides are all alike and inside the pistol.

-- Chuck

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They are not all the same, that is the point of my question. I have seen pictures of some that are smooth, some that are thicker to there is no step down from the bushing, some that are checkered in a different way.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,293 Posts
EGW makes monogrammed plugs, and someone makes one with a central smiley face, with "have a nice day" around the edge.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Why are you changing it?

·
Banned
7,485 Posts
Why change it?! :rolleyes: A full length recoil spring guide has no benefits whatsoever, complicates maintenance, and prevents emergency cycling of the slide by pressing it on a boot heel or edge of something.

Springfield doesn't fit a full length recoil spring guide on their top pistols, the ones intended as weapons. Nor do folks like Ed Brown. That should be a hint. :cool:

-- Chuck

·
Premium Member
1,605 Posts
I agree with Chuck, I think the GI plug is the way to go, I think the guild rod is more of a CDI (chicks dig it) thing than anything else.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I`ve been following a couple threads here and on other sites and from what I have seen the only benefit would be the field strip but I have an allen on my key ring. Many point out they seem to shoot better with a FLGR. I can`t say. Then there are those that say using a FL tungsten GR will add weight and balance and increase shot recovery.
Brown`s sell full length also and only mentions field stripping. Springfield mentions full length/two piece and also full length 2 spring on different loaded models. Wilson Tactical Super FLGR w/plug, from Kimber`s site "Full length guide rod, standard on most Kimber 5-inch pistols"
So what`s the real deal?

·
Registered
539 Posts
I can throw something into the mix. I've been playing around with my Micro-Compact, and there are some advantages to running a FLGR. I've paid notice to other threads regarding this.

The main one I see is that it allows the manufacturers to run two different springs, at least in Springfields case. It's obvious the first spring is light, the second is heavy. Retract the slide slowly and it is a positive transition from the light to heavy spring. This would seem to be only critical on the *short* pistols. It allows a very heavy spring, yet also allows momentum in retracting the slide because it's easier to get moving. This also allows them to run smaller diameter wire, which helps prevent coil bind, again more of an issue as your spring length decreases, but force on it is as great as longer springs.

While adding complexity, certainly undesirable in most cases, if the recoil spring is a factor in accuracy, then a FLGR theoretically will remove some variation. An unsupported spring will go in an unpredictable direction, and all pressure is therefore not directed straight back, which is where you want it. *If* that has bearing on accuracy, then a FLGR theoretically removing most of that unpredictable nature might help. That does not address other issues such as balance, fit, friction, etc.

·
Registered
9,203 Posts
Let us see if we can keep the thread from becoming a FLGR v. GIGR debate. We don't need to flog that expired equine again.

I believe Caspian makes a "GI' plug that looks like an old time bullseye target.

·
Premium Member
8,554 Posts
I believe Caspian makes a "GI' plug that looks like an old time bullseye target.

Now that has its place on a 1911.

·
Premium Member
3,282 Posts
Since this subject came up, why, other than saving production time, does no one add the bent in tab to plugs per the original spec? Is there no good reason for it? One thing that could be said is that it keeps the plug from launching when a newbie disassembles a 1911. I had a Remington Rand that was that way, sold it long ago. :mad:

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
partsproduction said:
Since this subject came up, why, other than saving production time, does no one add the bent in tab to plugs per the original spec? Is there no good reason for it? One thing that could be said is that it keeps the plug from launching when a newbie disassembles a 1911. I had a Remington Rand that was that way, sold it long ago. :mad:
I for one would like to figure out a way to add the tab to existing plugs.
...Now if someone would engineer a cool tool that would index the tab in the right position and allow just the right bend so one could retrofit a plug....Hint Hint....That would be a good thing. Huh Partsproduction?....Hint Hint:)
Joe

1 - 17 of 17 Posts