1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

While I wasn't trying to be completely historical, I tried to stay with a theme that would resemble what my father carried from 1947 until 1975 or there abouts when he retired from the U.S. Army.

The project started in January when I ordered the frame and slide from Caspian Arms. I had the U.S. Property markings put on the frame along with my Dad's RA number as the custom serial number put on the frame, and the Model of 1911 US Army put on the slide with the appropriate sight cuts and serrations.

Several of my friends also helped out a great deal. Dave sample supplied the thumb safety, hammer, which Don Williams prepped on his mill saving me a lot of grief, and a very beautiful arched main spring housing.

Dr.Dean Taylor, a friend of mine and member of this board, upon hearing about what I was doing sent me a pair of grips off of his first 1911, one that was built in 1914. These grips add a great deal of character to the pistol, and mean a lot to me. You just cannot buy history like that anywhere. It even caused us to 'age' the grip screws so they look more authentic.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
The barrel is a chrome lined surplus barrel of some kind that was previousley unfitted. I cannot make out the 'proof' mark on the leg though. Either way, it's proved to be quite accurate and feeds anything, even 'snake shot', so it doesn't matter anyway.

Finally, when I was finished with building it, Dave Sample staked the front sight, prepped it with two types of abrasive, one for the rounds and one for the flats, and then it made a trip out to Gunsite for Corey Trapp to blue it. As one of my best friends said when he saw the pistol for the first time blued, "It came out as black as Hillary's heart!" hat a great job the prep and then finish turned out to be, I just wish I could capture the difference of the two media in the pictures.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
That's beautiful, Bill.
(If this is the one you were making for your FIL and he doesn't like it, I''ll buy it!)

·
Super Moderator
13,424 Posts
Bill, That's an awesome looking pistol. I'm sure you'll have the pleasure of shooting it and the pride of building it for years to come. As you know I'm a big fan of the Retro theme. :)
Congratulations.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Critter said:
I had the U.S. Property markings put on the frame along with my Dad's RA number as the custom serial number put on the frame, and the Model of 1911 US Army put on the slide with the appropriate sight cuts and serrations.
Great pistol! I've been wanting to do something like this for a retro-style national match gun.

Did Caspian cut the GI serrations, or did someone else?

·
Super Moderator
13,424 Posts
Re: Re: GI 'retro' on Caspian frame/slide

sbow said:

Did Caspian cut the GI serrations, or did someone else?
I can answer for Critter, yes, Caspian produced the slide and cut the serrations. The buyer has to specify the serration style. They also make a true 1911 frame, without the relief scallop behind the trigger.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The MSH came from Dave Sample, it was a take-off from an old Army gun he had reworked many, many years ago, same with the trigger and hammer.

The mags came from metalform, there was a group purchase over at GT and I ordered three of those and a couple of 'regulars'. They have all kinds of options available on their mags.

Thanks again for the compliments gents.

·
Registered
382 Posts
chrome line barells

I remeber reading somewhere that the chrome lined barells were
some that Smith and Wesson made for a goverment contract and there bores were too big so instead of throwing them away Smith
and Wesson put in the chrome lineing to make them the right size. Maybe thats what your barell is.

C-Buff

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, I'm not sure, could be a import also, I just couldn't get the pedigree on it, but the accuracy speaks for itself. We took it out and it 'one-holes' at 25 feet with Speer Lawman consistantly to POA.

Doc Taylor has just sent me some more parts from his 1914 Colt, so there is another one of these or similar on the horizon, so stay tuned. :)

·
Registered
989 Posts
Gorgeous. That's what I'm planning with my next one.

If you can stand another question, what sights did you use? I'm stuck between Novak tritiums and King's copy of the old pre-adjustable GI NM sights. Hell, a huge Patridge front sight like Armand Swenson used to use would be GREAT, only he's dead.

Anyone have any suggestions? I can shoot GI sights, but as I noted over here that front sight gets real small in a hurry when junk is whistling the other way.

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
Critter,
Nice gun, I like the retro look and it seems to be getting more popular again. As a matter of fact I'm building a retro commmander and I have more and more customers asking for this type of gun. I also like the way the top of the slide lock safety is blended with the contour of the frame. I been doing this on guns for years and I'm glad to see others doing it as it gives the gun a much nicer appearence.
Here's a picture of a 10mm parts gun I built for myself with the slide lock safety blended, also the beavertail is blended for a very high hand position so I had to really blend the whole body of the slide lock safety.

WiseguyThreeOne,
The Patridge sight with the Kings rear is a pretty nice setup. If you have trouble finding a Patridge front let me know as I keep them in stock.

Regards
Bob Hunter
(816) 675-2340
www.huntercustoms.com

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The sights are the larger Colt commercial sights, my father is in his mid-seventies and the GI sights were just way too small.

Thanks for the good words Bob, I appreciate it. I had to insure there were absoloutly no 'sharps' on the pistol and no areas for skin to get pinched, that was the main reason for the blending of the GS and thumb safety. They have Dad on cumadin and any little nick would be very unpleasant. BTW, that's one heck of a 'parts' gun, it looks perfect to me.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts