1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

I'm relatively new to this forum, but I recently aquired a nice Remington Rand 1911A1.The previous owner replaced the standard issue sights on this gun with aftermarket MMC sights (I believe the gun was his daily carry weapon). I'd like to replace these aftermarket sights with something closer to the original issue sights.

Any idea where i can get some replacement, good quality GI style sights (front and rear)? If GI style sights are unavailable, what sights would you recommend for this gun?

Thanks!

Tom

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Hi Tom,
Welcome to the forum! You can get the old sites at most gun shows. I picked up a rear sight for another collector for about $4 bucks so they can be had easily. What you need to determine is if the rear site required the slide to be cut to fit. If that happened the cost associated with putting it back could make it a little pricer then you should invest. Cheers
Ty

------------------
Visit my 1911 site www.CoolGunSite.com

·
Administrator
73,982 Posts
Hopefully he didn't grind on the slide at all to fit those sights. GI sights are available both at gun shows and places like Gun Parts Corp., but remember the correct front sights are .085" in width while most commercial GI-style sights are more like .10". Also, the rear sight is supposed to have a beveled notch.

Haunt the gun shows or call Gun Parts (www.gunpartscorp.com), or else maybe either Ty or I can find a source for you.

[This message has been edited by dsk (edited 07-10-2001).]

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the tips. I'll try Gun Parts Corporation. Unfortunately, they don't have too many gun shows near where I live (southern NY state), but if I get a chance, I'll look at the shows as well.

I looked at the dovetail for the rear sight... I don't think the previous owner had to grind or mill any of the material away, so hopefully I'll be able to just drift in a new rear sight.

Thanks again for the info!

Tom

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
Tom
If your stuck I picked up a doz from 3 different vendors today.

Now they are very rare and valuable

Just so you know.
I was thinking 9.00 for the pair. plus shipping (figure 40.00
works on ebay NOT!)
we can offer financing if needed

geo ><>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts