1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
3,031 Posts
If it absolutely, positively has to resemble a 1911a1 safety, you're probably out of luck. If you are willing to deviate slightly from the original shape, buy a good one and exercise the Dremel option. I suggest a safety that uses a long sear pin for retention.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
Colt makes one, or at least they used to.

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
Mueschke is the last maker of the Colt type ambi safety, and unfortunately quality is usually not good.

The weakness is the dovetail joint between the two halves. One gunsmith I know has rebuilt these by welding on a new female part on the right hand side, and by cutting the left side shaft off short and welding on a harder steel section.
He also makes up a new, longer sear pin, since the pin that comes with the safety is soft and often bends in use.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,340 Posts
With some work, the current Colt factory ambi could probably be turned into something sort-of G.I. looking. It has some weird surface contours, but the outline is close.
I have a Mueschke ambi that has held up pretty well over 20 years, but it doesn't get a whole lot of use.

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
I may need to take my last post back.

The new Colt Marine CQBP pistol has an ambi safety that looks very close to the old Colt/Mueschke safety.

It's an extended version and has one extra cut along the top, but it could easily have the extension cut down.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts