1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Between the GI, Milspec, and Custom Loaded, are there any differences in reliability and durability? How significantly different is the shooting accuracy between them?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I think the only differences between the Mil-Spec and the G.I. version are the sights, ejector and grips.

The standard Mil-Spec uses upgraded sights with white dots for visibility. The ejector on the Mil-Spec doesn't damage the brass as bad as the GI from what I hear, in case you plan to reload. The grips just look a little more modern because they're black.

Other than that, they look pretty much the same to me.

I purchased a Mil-Spec 1911 from Springfield a few months ago and couldn't be more disappointed with the Parkerized finish. It's a joke. The gun is great and performs flawlessly, but that finish will chip just from laying it down on your dresser.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I had a chance to compare a Mil-Spec to my GI last week - other than the serrations and sights and ejection port, I didn't see a single practical difference. My GI is one of the first run with the black grips anyway (had the brown on for a while and went back to the black).

My trigger was better, but that's probably an individual thing.

They don't beat up brass at all past what a regular resizer will fix anyway.

In my case, since I learned to shoot on low military sights and am quickest to POA with them, they're preferred. As a carry gun, the added bonus is they don't snag on clothes or in my flesh as much as well.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
I have seen no difference in the reliability and durability of my WWII and Regular Mil-Spec. Both have been great. I don't own a loaded.

·
Banned
1,473 Posts
If you're buying a finish, buy something else. Something nice and shiny.

If you're buying a weapon, buy the Milspec.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
VR6T........I had the same problem with my "Champion" a couple of years ago, I took it home and started the Clean and Lube and little Pinhead sized pieces of the Parkerizing started comming off. It seemed like everytime I would even touch the gun the finish would develop another "shiny spot" :barf: .... I didn't keep it too long, I saw it the other day and about 35% of the finish was gone off it in different areas, no big spots just all over the gun.
My WW II finish is fine, and between it and my Stainless Mil-Spec, the WW II has a better trigger! As soon as I decide on the MSH that I want I'll put a reduced power Mainspring in and do a little work on the trigger.

marklbucla.......if you don't mind the smaller sights on the WW II and don't mind some dings in the Brass, the WW II is IMO, the best deal out there at the moment.....I paid 362.50 for mine and 485.00 for my Stainless Mil-Spec. I like the Stainless Mil-Spec better because of the finish and the Colt style front strap, but I hear the new WW II's have the rounded front strap. If moneys a little tight go with the WW II, I don't think you'll be disapointed,
Regards SonnyD

·
Registered
257 Posts
Man, the park finish on my WW2 mil-spec is awesome, I posted a pic of it here awhile back in this forum. Guess it depends what day it was done......yours must have been done on a friday afternoon. I went and got the pic...............................
.............the white spots are lint and dust.

·
Registered
38 Posts
touch-up pen?

I accidentally scratched the finish on mine near the ejector port. I also own an SAR-1 AK-47 and it scratches pretty easily, too. I *thought* I saw somewhere where someone has a touch-up pen to cover scratches on parkerized finishes. Anyone know what I'm talking about, or did I just dream it?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I tried a flat black touch-up pen on my SAR-1. It now looks like Frankenstein with all these little scar-like marks all over. At least it doesn't have bright shiney scar-like scratches...???

1 - 10 of 10 Posts