1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My nephew is here on vacation. If I were to gift him a handgun that he were to declare to the airline and take with him back to California, would it need to be a gun that was on the Cali list or could it be grandfathered in?

What about a pump shotgun like a modern Mossberg 500 or an external hammer SxS ?

As long as I am asking, would the hand gun I chose to arm myself with while I was visiting him matter ?

·
Premium Member
8,991 Posts
I don't really know, but from the gist of what you want to do, I think you need to have a FFL on both ends handle the transaction.

·
Registered
7,724 Posts
I'd suggest you check some of the sites like "CalGuns" to find the info you're seeking.

As for what you're able to carry in CA?

I might be wrong, but the Short answer is you can't unless you're a CA Citizen with a CA Carry Permission Slip carrying an approved firearm.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Check with a local FFL in your area.

My belief is that it would have to go FFL to FFL - especially since your nephew wouldn't have it registered to his name.

Secondly, I'm not so sure that it could be 'gifted' if not on the CA approved list - unless all of this was happening in CA.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
Relax Johnny, you will meet interesting & new friends in the penitentiary. It will expand your horizons. And in Kalifornia "come to Jesus" has a different meaning in prison.

:biglaugh:

·
Registered
242 Posts
The FFL-free family exemption in California only applies to gifts between: parents and children, grandparents and grandchildren, and spouses... And it only applies when both people reside in Cali. You'll definitely need to go through a California FFL, no matter what. Firearms transferred to a California resident from out of state must be legal to purchase in the state. You can only give your nephew a California legal firearm.

·
Premium Member
7,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Relax Johnny, you will meet interesting & new friends in the penitentiary. It will expand your horizons. And in Kalifornia "come to Jesus" has a different meaning in prison.

:biglaugh:
Just the phrase "penal system" makes my orphaces clamp shut !!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Unfortunately, I'll nip this in the bud for you. As his uncle, you MAY NOT gift a firearm to a nephew who resides in our wonderful PRK. Blood mother/father, Blood grandparents are the only relatives allowed to Gift. No 'step' parents either. Basically, No sideways gifting to relatives.

My advice to you: Have one of his qualified family members fly into Ca. with the weapon and do the transfer with a FFL in person. $35 transfer fee, 10 day DROS and it'll be his.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
You will have to ship between FFL to FFL in cali.
At least I am able to receive handguns from other states, FFL to FFL. You can have only 10 round magazine's, for your handguns that are Transferred into the State here.
Scott

·
Registered
14 Posts
AFAIK, there is no federal law requiring that when a firearm is shipped across state lines, the individual sending the firearm must use a FFL to start the shipping process. The firearm MUST be shipped to a FFL who then handles the transfer paperwork. With that being said, many FFL's have as their own policy to only receive firearms from another FFL. Call around and you'll get different policy from almost every FFL.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
My son graduated from a college located in California and has chosen to stay there. I have thought about sending him (through proper channels) a Glock 21SF I purchased 5+ years ago for him to use.

At this stage in the game I'm not sure if I would want to deal with the hassle. Then I don't know what on my son's end has to be done. He is just starting out and I know he does not have a secure place to keep it other than hidden in an apartment. Nor am I familiar with the permitting process in California. He has a Permit to Carry back home but that does him no good out there.

Perhaps if he gets permitted in California I will send it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
They must stay up late at night thinking up new laws. Too bad they don't have better hobbies than trampling the rights of good people.

·
Banned
2,666 Posts
Unfortunately, I'll nip this in the bud for you. As his uncle, you MAY NOT gift a firearm to a nephew who resides in our wonderful PRK. Blood mother/father, Blood grandparents are the only relatives allowed to Gift. No 'step' parents either. Basically, No sideways gifting to relatives.

My advice to you: Have one of his qualified family members fly into Ca. with the weapon and do the transfer with a FFL in person. $35 transfer fee, 10 day DROS and it'll be his.
How is the OP supposed to legally transfer the gun to that "qualified" California relative?:confused:

·
Registered
23 Posts
My son graduated from a college located in California and has chosen to stay there. I have thought about sending him (through proper channels) a Glock 21SF I purchased 5+ years ago for him to use.

At this stage in the game I'm not sure if I would want to deal with the hassle. Then I don't know what on my son's end has to be done. He is just starting out and I know he does not have a secure place to keep it other than hidden in an apartment. Nor am I familiar with the permitting process in California. He has a Permit to Carry back home but that does him no good out there.

Perhaps if he gets permitted in California I will send it.
If it is on this list (exact model, but not Gen 4), then it can be transferred. It does have to go through a CA FFL.

·
Registered
271 Posts
You can transfer him a firearm that is off the roster if you are immediate family. I'm 99% sure that uncle is too far removed to count. Sibling, parent or grandparent... It is an often used loop hole by people who mark G42/43, VP9 and other off roster handguns up to $1500 and sell them on the state specific boards.

The work around would be, you give it to your brother/sister, they give it to their son. I have no doubt you'll be up to your ears in paperwork.

Long guns shouldn't be a problem regardless of if you are family or not, but he needs to register it at an FFL when he gets there. I'm sure legally he needs to ship it to an FFL first, but I'm not sure who would check.

It doesn't matter if the family member lives out of state or not.

Prior to 2014, a parent could give a long gun to a child and vice versa without paperwork. Handguns need to be registered.

·
Registered
153 Posts
The user above is correct. For hand guns:

1. Grand-parent - Parent - Child only. No uncles, brothers, cousins, step parents, etc.
2. Out of State resident? MUST go thru FFL!
3. Does NOT have to be on the "cali safe roster".

·
Registered
10 Posts

Both have to be California residents to do a privte party transfer,and it would be roster exempt .

1 - 20 of 50 Posts