1911Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I ended up with a brand new Girsan 1911s almost 10 years ago. It was something thrown in to close a deal back when we could. She looked like a standard old 1911 like I carried in the Corps. I had primarily hadn't settled on any one pistol in my civilian life. I was hunting out in western Kansas where accurate reach was important and me and that kind of pistol accuracy don't have a relationship. But I shot those old 1911's and qualified everytime. I had tried a Tisas back then and it was functionally good, broke in well. I never liked it, I upgraded it, still didn't like it. Didn't have a bad word to say about it, I just didn't like it. I didn't have any real expectations of how this would go. At first I noticed how solid it felt, I started at 10ft it shot about 10 jnches low but I nice little 3 inch group. I read above some talk about combat sights, hell I didn't know anything about this. But I filed down the front sight, mine didn't have any dots so I had to buy that high priced crap for her. I handload her ammo and use some pretty traditional loads. I always said that if I ever found a 1911 that I could shoot accurately I'd keep it forever. I have put a spring kit in it and put a flat checkered mainspring housing on it. I happen to be restricted in my mobility and my conveyance always (where legal) the place to have it. When I was taking my CCL classes my instructors asked to shoot it. They were amazed at the Turkish pistol. I am not a shill for the company, my barrel nut is black but not the same as the slide and frame so there is no finish to rub or peel, the barrel isn't chromed its beyond chrome, I have maybe 800 rounds through her. There are slide marks on both sides of the frame, slight but there. I have had to replace that damn white paint to often. I have often thought about buying sights for it. I give this pistol my best opinion I can albeit I bought another first year firearm that year and I can promise you that anything after the first full production run of that S&W product is a totally different product.
YMMV⚡⚡⚡

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I think the next time I fiddle with it, I'll get some data where it prints at a known distance and at least replace the front sight. If I can get one of those short enough it'll have the familiar and desired 6 o'clock hold. I need to get an actual muzzle device for that threaded barrel too. At the moment it's just there because threaded barrel and that doesn't sit right with me. I still need to sort out how to tighten the light on that rail too, but I think it's finally starting to grow on me though.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts