1911Forum banner

Glaser, Gold Dot or Hydra-Shok

2K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  WESHOOT2 
#1 ·
I've been searching the threads, reading magazines and talking to people, but still looking for more information. I figured you guys have some good opinions too, so here it goes.
I'm trying to decide what is the best self-defense round from these three:Glaser +P, Speer Gold Dot 230gr or Federal Hydra-Shok 230gr. I'm carrying a Kimber .45ACP 3" and sometimes my 4". I know that the local police used to use Hydra-Shok but just switched to Gold Dot. I currently have Gold Dots myself.
What have you all found about these through personal experience, readings, etc.
Thanks in advance for your input!

#7 ·
[QUOTE Is there a big difference between 230gr and 185gr coming out of a 3" gun compared to a 4" gun?]

Generally speaking the 3" guns suffer from a decent loss of velocity over 4 to 5 inch guns bringing the bullet closer to the minimum velocity needed to expand. The lighter bullets travel faster from the start generally giving a better chance that the bullet will still expand with the loss of velocity. I'm sure if you do a search on the subject you'll find some interesting information on the subject.

Best of luck,

Train hard, Train often and be safe

#8 ·
try to lay your hands on an assortment of ammo. my 5" colt performed flawlessly with the hydra-shok, but then my agency switched to gold dots. i had to get it tuned to feed the "flying ashtray". the previous owner had apparently ground the area of the barrel right above the feedramp and took too much off.

i too, use 185 grain gold dots in my 3". they perform wonderfully.

#9 ·
Maybe not quite what you were looking for, but recently I used the following guns and ammo for some chrono testing. Ammo tests are for 7-8 rounds (depending on mag capacity) and the data are in fps showing LOW/HIGH/AVERAGE. Not all ammo was tested in each gun. I did not test the 230 Hydrashok in the Kimber, sorry.

Kimber Ultra Elite with 3.16" barrel (K)
Wilscon Combat CQB with 4" barrel (CCQB)
Wilson CQB with 5" Barrel (CQB)

Blazer 230 gr ammo
K 770 / 787 / 753
CCQB 812 / 820 / 803
CQB 866 / 890 / 837

Hydrashok 230 (Premium)
CCQB 856 / 867 / 820
CQB 902 / 916 / 885

Hydrashok 165
K 899 /910 / 879

Gold Dot 185s (my choice for the Kimber and CCQB)
K 941 / 962 / 949
CCQB 1003 / 1027 / 976

Hydrashok 185+P (only 1 round available to test)
K 910

The Speer Gold Dot 185 is a great little round that gets good velocity out of a shorter barrel. It is NOT +P rated ammo by Speer, but it produced velocity well above the single Hydrashok 185 +P ammo and better than the lighter Hydrashok 165 ammo.

The results for the Gold Dot 185s parallel results I have seen described elsewhere.

#12 ·
IF IT'S RELIABLE.......

Suggest a 230g load; the Gold Dot, Hydra-Shok, and SXT are all very very good.

Regardless of barrel length I always recommend a 230g bullet.

Find one (or two, or three) that work with complete reliability and then practice.
Lots.

My personal 45 ACP ammo most often uses the non-bonded R-P Golden Saber.
I have my reasons.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.