1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have owned a Springfield Trophy Match Long Slide, a Semi-Custom Springfield TRP, and a Springfield Ultra-Compact. I would like to buy another Springfield Ultra-Compact, as I believe that it will serve my needs the best in carrying concealed among the .45s.

However, the Ultra-Compact manual says that it is not advised to shoot +p rounds from the Ultra-Compact models, and I am a die hard fan of the Glaser Safety Slug! I believe that the Glaser Safety Slug in .45 is a +p round, and I don't want to hurt my Ultra-Compact using them(not that I am going to shoot a whole bunch of them, but I still try and follow the manual's advice).

So what's the solution? Can I put a different recoil spring in the gun to help reduce the slide velocity? Is it OK to shoot the +ps in a stock Ultra-Compact?!!! This has been the only thing keeping me from the Ultra-Compact, but if I am going back to it, I want to be able to carry my Glasers with confidence!

Any advice will be appreciated!:confused:

Thanks in advance,

Vanguard.45

·
Registered
919 Posts
In my most humble opinion, Springfields disclaimer is most likely a legal position.

I shoot +P loads from my Para C7.45. a near duplicate of the Ultra Carry, and I have had no problems whatsoever. I currently have an Ultra Carry (PX9161L) being shipped to me and I shall fire +P's from that pistol also.

I may have had a different opinion should the weapon in question have been an aluminum framed "lightweight" model.

The .45 ACP is a low pressure round and the +P loads run about 10% hotter. 10% more than not a whole lot doesn't add up to very much.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Different recoil sprimg...+P loads

I’ve changed out the recoil springs and rod with a one piece unit from Wilson Combat. There isn’t enough space for a regular shock buff. I'm going to try a smaller one. They are currently on back order.

As far as +P loads, most of the foreign ammo available is in the +P range. I agree on the disclaimer point of view. The same statement is made with regard to reloads.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Finerd,

Welcome to the board!

Also not looking for an argument, but the tests conducted on live sheep in the early 90s do not draw the same conclusion on the GSS as you do. They placed them as very effective rounds.

In fact in their tests the GSS performed exactly as they did in your test. Very little penetration is what the round was designed for, and that is the reason for the small shot. They are not meant to penetrate deeply. Instead, they are meant to scatter within the body and dissipate nearly 100% of the rounds energy. Unlike a hollow point (as long as it stays in the body) the GSS will not create one large wound cavity. It is designed to create a shallow buy wide wound area. Think of it like getting hit in the chest with a 4x4 as opposed to a dowel rod.

They were dropping sheep quickly with this round, citing their theory that the overall shock to the system was much greater. The street data they had correleted well to the info gathered on the sheep.

Its interesting that the data you gathered is the same as that gathered in the live kill tests, but the conclusions made are opposite. I wonder if it just didn't do what you expected it to do and that threw you? Honestly, who knows who is really right, but those live sheep tests were pretty convincing, especially backed by the actual shooting data they had.

And as for +P in your officers, just make sure to keep that recoil spring in good shape. If not slide velocity will get high, batter things about, and may even change enough to alter the timing and affect reliability. But in small to moderate amounts, I'd say +P no problem.

Brian

·
Registered
919 Posts
My earlier response specifically targeted the question as to whether +P loads were detrimental to the firearm. I don't believe they are and I agree fully with the need for appropriate recoil springs to harness the slide energy.

Personally, I wouldn't use the Safety Slugs. Regardless of what is professed; I have doubts about their overall characteristics. I use Remington Golden Saber 185 +P's because I want a round that can overcome the environment. You just don't know if you will have to fire through glass, sheet metal, wallboard and heavy clothing.

I truly believe that the world would have beat a path to the door of any manufacturer that had conceived the perfect bullet but it hasn't happened yet with Glaser.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts