1911Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I googled Glaser Safety Slugs, read some of the articles, and found some serious mixed results. Does anybody know if these are any good? They'd be primarily for home defense. I like the thought of not overpenetrating an arm and going through a wall, but I don't like the stories of perps being shot center-mass and the fragments making it only 3 inches through their fat.

·
Premium Member
5,062 Posts
I have a friend who thinks these are the "holy grail" of all defensive ammo. I am really concerned there would likely not be enough penetration to be as effective as a good hollowpoint, such as Golden Sabers or Gold-Dots.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Earlier this year I took a defensive pistol class with Gabe Suarez in which we did a lot of force on force training using airsoft pistols. Something I learned from this training was that when we were shooting at each other in close quarters many of the shots are received in the arms and hands. This may have been partially due to target fixation, but more than anything I think it was because when attacking the attacker's hands and arms are frequently in front of their center of mass.

The reason I correlate this to Glaser ammo is that given a hit like that I think a JHP would be much more likely to penetrate through the hand or arm and continue into the torso than the Glaser. JM2c

·
Premium Member
904 Posts
Brass Balls said:
Earlier this year I took a defensive pistol class with Gabe Suarez in which we did a lot of force on force training using airsoft pistols. Something I learned from this training was that when we were shooting at each other in close quarters many of the shots are received in the arms and hands. This may have been partially due to target fixation, but more than anything I think it was because when attacking the attacker's hands and arms are frequently in front of their center of mass.
I've noticed the same thing when using Simunition in our swat force on force training. If someone is pointing a gun at you and you point a gun at them the hands and arms are likely to get hit since your shots are aimed center mass, right were the hands are holding the gun pointing at you.

I guess there is no cut and dry answer to your question. If you desire to shoot through a door frame, door or wall, Glasers might be seriously dissapointing.

If you use a traditional round you get the benefit of breaking the hand and arm bones as the round passes though and (hopefully) continues on to the chest. Will this happen with a Glaser, doubtful.

How much overpentration you get with the round in your scenario is open to dozens of factors, which we can't know the answer to ahead of time. Certainly FMJ will not expand and will overpentrate much more than hollowpoints.

Personally, I'd pick a HP and practice more with it. Glasers are pretty expensive and in the end, shot placement is likely to be more critical than over penetration.

Practice, practice and practice with whatever you choose so you KNOW the ammuntion works well in your weapon. Not just a box, but a couple hundred rounds.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Due to the super light projectile, POI is usually way low as well. I also distrust their ability to supply operating power to the weapon, for the same reason. Testing might show they have enough power, but, like Mike pointed out, they cost big $.
I think they should only be used when, for safety, a "normal" bullet is precluded. There are times when a Glaser is a must, I would opt for Silver rather than the Blue. (do they still make both?)
All of them, and their like, are special purpose ammo.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So in other words, leave them for the Air Marshalls. Thanks for the info, I'll stick with my SXT's. And yes, I believe they still make both types (of Glasers).

·
Registered
793 Posts
Leave the Glasers and similar rounds for special situations where having a round penetrate barriers or suspects is a big no no. For normal everyday carry, use normal lead/semijacketed/jacketed hollowpoints.

·
Registered
37 Posts
****** said:
So in other words, leave them for the Air Marshalls. .
Air Marshalls dont even use them anymore

As for not penetrating walls, well I've shot them through sheetrock walls and even old railroad ties, so with this in mind, I'd stick weith a bonded or reverse tapered JHP.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, now I'm just curious.... what do air marshalls use now?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I think its still considered hush hush, but the 2 that I talk to at the range carry SIG P229s chambered in .357sig, using 125gr. Golddots.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Fail-Safe said:
I think its still considered hush hush, but the 2 that I talk to at the range carry SIG P229s chambered in .357sig, using 125gr. Golddots.

If it is "hush hush" you haven't done them any favors with that last post :confused:

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
****** said:
I googled Glaser Safety Slugs, read some of the articles, and found some serious mixed results. Does anybody know if these are any good? They'd be primarily for home defense. I like the thought of not overpenetrating an arm and going through a wall, but I don't like the stories of perps being shot center-mass and the fragments making it only 3 inches through their fat.

Personally I try not to get all hung-up into which hollowpoint is the better one over the other. I'm glad to be able to have them in my house gun. They are expensive and practicing using them takes a big chunk outta my budget. All that matters to me is the grain of bullet. My apartment is small so my encounter with the thug will be up close and personal so concerns about hurting someone else are a moot point to me. You must have a really big place.

rimfire,22

·
Registered
37 Posts
hack said:
If it is "hush hush" you haven't done them any favors with that last post :confused:

If its "hush hush" then why did I know about it? How many other people knew about before me? Obviously several, because a quick search found the same thing discussed up to 3 years ago. You can chill now, thanks.

·
Premium Member
904 Posts
There are few real secrets in large scale government operations. There is no way to keep the individual air marshals in the dark on what they are carrying. There is also no way to keep them from talking.

While it does sound cool to say "I can't tell you, it's National Security" when asked by someone at the local 7/11, I'd guess most friends of an Air Marshal won't have difficulty finding out.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
rimfire said:

Personally I try not to get all hung-up into which hollowpoint is the better one over the other. I'm glad to be able to have them in my house gun. They are expensive and practicing using them takes a big chunk outta my budget. All that matters to me is the grain of bullet. My apartment is small so my encounter with the thug will be up close and personal so concerns about hurting someone else are a moot point to me. You must have a really big place.

rimfire,22
No, not a really big place, typical suburban home. That's why I'm a little concerned about overpenetration. Even in a small apartment, you have possible low light conditions, BG maybe behind a doorjam for cover. I'd rather not have the round go through a shoulder and into a roommate.

·
Registered
147 Posts
But you'd only be able to get one shot off, as the glassers are too light to cycle the action.
Hopefully that'd be enough, but I like my pistols to be able to shoot till empty

Revolvers are a different story; maybe the glassers do have a place.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts