1911Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother wants something smaller than his Colt 1911 for concealed carry and he is asking me to swap even with him for my Glock 19 9mm (with night sites). A new G19 with NS runs around $549 at local gun shows here before tax. He has a 25-30 year old Series 70 Government Model that has probably had less than 500 rounds shot through it. He got it (new) back in the late 70's or very early 80's. and just has not shot it very much. Current (basic) model Colt 1911's are selling for around $800-$900 at the local shows.

The one oddity about it is that it has a Nickel finish (NOT Stainless Steel) that is, unfortunately, less than perfect. It has a kind of mottled(?) appearance - just enough to be, well, frankly, ugly. I tried using some polish and elbow grease on it but only barely managed to put a dent in the - I guess - oxidization?

Other than the Nickel finish, it is just a plain Jane Colt 1911. So, if I traded him for it, I'd probably want to spend the dough to get it refinished and probably also replace the hammer with one that doesn't "bite" and also most likely replace the grip safety with a more modern design.

So, what do you guys think? I really like the G19 - but I carry my Glock 36 .45 more than the 19 now - so it is no huge loss - and I can always buy another 19 later I suppose (almost certainly). I currently already have four 1911's, (a Springfield Loaded, a Para Ordnance NRA, a Taurus PT1911 and a blued Series 70 Colt that I got back when he got this Nickel one).

Do you think it is a good "straight up" swap? Any idea on the price/worth of a Nickel finish Series 70 Colt? And secondly, if I DO swap, any recommendations for refinishing it?

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
IMHO, it would be a good trade, provided the 1911 hasn't been given an "action job" by some wannabe gunsmith with a ball peen hammer and a big file, but that doesn't sound like the case as you seem to know this gun's history.

For refinishing, I'd recommend Walter Birdsong's Black-T finish. You can get ahold of him at 601-939-7448. He finished my Baer Thunder Ranch 1911 in Black-T and it looks great!

·
Premium Member
20,434 Posts
First of all, your Glock is not new. Lightly used go for $450 around here all the time. That value is a great trade for the old Colt. A trip to Robar for their NP3 finish is all you'll ever need for the life of the gun. If you want parts upgrades, do them first. I'd jump at the trade.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
You know, you should just put me together with your brother. That way, he won't be going around telling everyone how badly his own brother screwed him over on his Colt when he comes to his senses later. :D
Regards,
Andy

·
Registered
22 Posts
This is a no brainer... a Glock is a Glock and you can find them anywhere at anytime whereas a Colt 1911 is hard to come by especially a series 70.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I would have made the trade before the words finished leaving his mouth. A "classic" Series 70 Colt for a run-of-the-mill Glock? Done. I have a Glock 19. Put him in touch with me if you don't do it.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Been there . . . did that

20+ years ago I traded my Glock 19 with night sites to my boss for a pre-70 Series 9mm Commander in blue. She had received in in trade for $20 (yes TWENTY DOLLARS) of whisky for a drunken sailor in her bar in Northern Kalifornia. It now exists as a .38 Super Commander and my favorite CCW.
If you are your brother's keeper. . . keep this deal in the family and do it.
We know who the smarter brother is!

·
Registered
340 Posts
and two more tiimes

Just remembered two other recent trades:

Glock 19 to my Jail's nurse for a Colt PocketLite .380 because "It kicks like a mule."

Glock 34 to my IPSC friend for a Colt .38 Super Single-Stack Race Gun with C-More red dot sight AND 6 10 round mags AND reloading components AND a log of ALL rounds fired through it since he got it.

Let friends know what you're willing to part with and, more often than not, they will have you in mind when horse-trading time comes to pass. Glock for 1911 trades are PRICELESS!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the responses, guys. I've tried to explain all this to him, but he just thinks the 1911 is "too large to conceal carry" - which I have told him it is not because I have carried mine with only minor printing problems on occassion and that you simply have to "dress around it". However, he also says he "just wants a Glock". Probably going to be joining a street gang or something. :biglaugh: (He turned 40 this year, so this is highly unlikely).

He's starting to waffle on the trade idea a little now, but if he decides to pursue it then I guess I will sucker, I mean, accomodate, him. (Course, I will never let him live it down). :)

·
Premium Member
300 Posts
I traded my G22 for a guitar.

Best deal ever, I don't miss it. :biglaugh:

·
Administrator
75,160 Posts
I have nothing against Glocks, as I own a G19 myself. However they seem to have a certain mystique with the "young guns" crowd, the same folks who also like to able to brag that they own an AK. If he thinks he just ain't cool without a Glock on his hip then by all means trade him for the Colt. You can easily get another G19 any day of the week, and the Colt will find a more respectable home.

·
Premium Member
5,385 Posts
Glock for a Colt.. do the trade, quick.. before he sobers up.

The Colt is a workhorse, with potential only limited by time money and commitment. It might become a legacy, a champion, a defender or a trophy.
Your grandchildren might fight over it. Or with global politics being what they are, might fight with it.

A Glock is also a workhorse. It has the potential to remain exactly what it was the day you bought it.

" A Glock is like the toiletpaper under the bathroom cabinet, I don't want to reach for it unless I have to, but its comforting to know its there if I need it."

"people own and shoot Colts, because they have value, people own and shoot Glocks, because they don't (have value)." my opinion

·
Registered
37 Posts
Glock... a handgun with zero pride of ownership. I bought a G19 in 94 or 95 and sold it a year later. I liked my HK USP and Colt combat elite a lot more. I never liked the glock trigger and that is the primary reason I sold it.

That said, if you like your glock, keep it. If you want a gun you can turn into a classic carry/shooter go ahead and make the trade. Let that be the primary reason you want to do the trade. Don't worry about trading up or down.

Now if you do make the trade and later find you aren't warming up to the 1911, you could probably trade it for 2 glocks.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Some few tears ago I found a pre-80 series Colt Commander with a nickel inish in a pawn shop. Had my gunsmith remove the nickel and apply a dark finish, etc.,. I sure miss that one.
Get that 1911 from your brother ASAP!

·
Registered
27,691 Posts
Leaving out the Glock/Colt hoopla, do the trade.

They are both fine guns but one of them is worth a lot more than the other on the market.

I'd buy Glocks at $350 and trade them for $550 Colts all day long.:)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts