1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I don't want to be one of those alarmists, or the guy trying to spread the dire rumors of impending doom, but in reviewing the forum I saw it doesn't seem to have been mentioned yet...

We've been having TONS of issues with the Glock 22 in our department, particularly those mounted with Surefire and Streamlight weaponlights, using duty ammo. By tons of issues, I mean stoppages for nearly half the bullets in every magazine. This has been slowly building over the last year or so, and we've changed up lots of factors, to rule out non-weapon related problems. We've used both Speer Gold Dots (in both common weights), Winchester Rangers, changed magazine springs, etc...it makes no difference. The Glock 22 doesn't seem to like duty ammo with a weight on the rail.

I've carried a Glock 22 with weaponlight for the past 12 years on duty, but the difference is we only recently started using duty ammo throughout our range days. The problems were not aparent with the crappy, low-power practice ammo.

Evidently our small/ medium sized department (between 100 and 200 sworn) is far from the only agency currently experiencing this. Several other much larger agencies across the country are reporting identical results. Glock was contacted of course, and they recommended against using weapon lights on the G22 model. So we are going to switch to the Glock 17. Evidently the 9mm and .45 ACP Glocks are not plagued with the same issue.

The only reason I bring this up is that the G22 is hugely popular as an LEO platform, and I wanted folks carrying it to at least be aware than an issue has risen, even if you or your agency has been fortunate enough not to experience it yet.

·
Banned
2,925 Posts
Good point!

Also, I have also seen that pistol malfunction with a weapon light as well. My son's works well with FMJ ammo but last time out it failed with Ranger Ts AND a weapon light.
Is it the light we should be talking about and how it affects the cycle of the gun???

·
Administrator
74,047 Posts
***Thread re-opened, discussion should be limited to those in law enforcement with something to contribute. Any drive-by Glock bashers will be have their posts removed and given a time out.***

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
Not a Glock fan, but just curious, since the G22 will become a 357Sig gun with a bbl swap, I know of several depts here on the east coast that carry 357Sig (not sure if they are Glocks though).......any info of whether the 357Sig Glocks are having the same prob? A bbl swap would be a LOT more cost effective than an entire gun change.......Just a thought. Tracy

·
Registered
54 Posts
I heard this was corrected with the gen 4. My G22gen4 works just fine with a tlr-1 and all ammo.

What generation are your dept guns?

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DSK, thanks for keeping it open. It's definitely not my intent to bash Glocks, I've enjoyed mine for many years, and I'm happy with our department switching to the G17, I think it's a great gun.

Nicoli, our guns are Gen 3's. I have also heard that the Gen 4's do not have the same issue, but I did hear that they had some issues of their own when first released (not the model 22 in specific). I've never warmed to the Gen 4's myself...I'm not a fan of more moving parts and I've never cared for grips with removable panels on rifles or pistols. It just seems like one more thing that could crap out at the wrong time.

Tracy, I have not heard of the .357 SIG Glock 22's having this issue, but then I haven't heard of anyone carrying it in that caliber either. I'm a fan of the .357 SIG and own a P226 in it myself, but all the agencies I've personally heard of who use it use the caliber in a SIG gun. That said, I'm not sure you're correct about cost. When agencies turn in hundreds of Glocks for a different Glock model, I doubt they pay hardly anything at all, at most I'd guess $200 or less per gun. Our department, like many others, can barely scrounge together enough .40 cal and 9mm ammo for range days. I'm confident that .357 SIG ammo would only take one or two training days before the cost of the bullets far outweighed the cost of purchasing new guns.

I have more confidence in both .45 ACP and 9mm than I do in .40 cal. My goal isn't to turn this into a caliber war, but from everything I've heard, seen, and read, .40 cal is more finicky than the other two. 9mm provides excellent weight, capacity, and follow-up shot consistency. Likewise I would have been happy going to a .45 ACP. I'm not a .40 cal hater, but given a choice I'd pick the either of the other two over it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
King County SO in WA identified the same problem, including one deputy that had a G22 light-induced malfunction that occurred during an OIS. Almost two years ago we mandated that no lights shall be carried on G22s, and many deputies switched to either a personal firearm other than Glock, or a G17. Gen3s and Gen4s, they've both had the issues for us.

Some Glocks will never have the problem, some will have it every few rounds. My understanding is that it's a combination of issues between the G22 frame and magazine springs. Some Glocks that have never had the problem in the past may begin to exhibit it once their mag springs become worn.

BUT... I switched to a 1911 for duty carry shortly after our "no tac-light" order came out, so I haven't followed the issue very closely.

·
Registered
153 Posts
G23 - Similar Issues and Solutions

My agency issues the Glock 23 (.40 cal, compact, not gen 3) and I had similar problems with an M3 weapon light. I found the solution was two-fold. I was originally using Duracell batteries. These are heavy when compared to Surefire batteries. So I switched to Surefire batteries and that improved the performance, but it wasn't 100%. Then I used magazine springs from the full sized Glocks, and put them in my shorter mags. Instead of carrying 13 rounds in the magazine, I now can only carry 12, but I figure the reliability outweighs the sacrifice of one more round. Just be sure to mark the magazines with the longer springs so you will be able to tell those from the non-modified ones. This solved all of my problems with the failures. Note: Check your firearms policy before making any changes. Be safe.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Good point!

Also, I have also seen that pistol malfunction with a weapon light as well. My son's works well with FMJ ammo but last time out it failed with Ranger Ts AND a weapon light.
Is it the light we should be talking about and how it affects the cycle of the gun???
It's causing the frame to flex....

·
Registered
627 Posts
At my last agency we were issued Glock 22 3rd gen. I had heard the problem was caused by using a light attached to the frame. This caused a problem with the mag springs. This problem was isolated to only the Glock 22. The model 17 with a light attached had no problems. Glock used the same frame for both models. I replaced all of my mag springs with Wolf Springs. I never had a problem.

·
Registered
44 Posts
What I was told a few years ago at Glock armorers course I was sent to, was that a combinations of less frame flex from the light on the dust cover and duty ammo (.40 duty ammo seems quite a bit hotter than practice ammo) was elevating the slide velocity and the mag springs were the solution.

We've had better luck with issue G22 without lights compared to with...

·
Registered
627 Posts
The thing, that upsets me most about this, is that Glock knew that this was a problem. If confronted they would admit to a possible problem. They should have improved their mag springs or advised customers to get after market springs.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Unfortunately, at least in our experience, it does not go away by replacing the magazine springs. We've used both factory and aftermarket magazine springs and the issue is persistent. We've not had any issues with the G22's without lights attached. The frame flex in combination with the hot duty ammo is the reason for the issue according to Glock.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Admittedly, I'm in a very small department but I have only seen it once; due to the light being mounted drastically too tight to the frame. Ymmv

·
Registered
825 Posts
Without going into the drama, yes, our agency went through this 3 years ago. As did the State Police. None of us have .40 Glocks anymore.

·
Registered
64 Posts
at my agency us lowly patrolmen aren't allowed to have weapon mounted lights however our k9 guys do and i haven't heard of any problems...as far as i know most carry a g3 22

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
Is there a difference in your duty ammo vs practice ammo other than FMJ & JHP?

·
Registered
353 Posts
I want to thank the OP for this post and all input placed on it. My department like many has a lot of officers that carry the Glock 22. Most officer carry a light mounted to them. I have brought this up with the "powers that be" in my department. As a result all officers carrying the weapon are being required to shoot their duty weapon with duty ammo.

My question is has anyone had a particular ammo fail worse than others? We currently issue Federal hydro shock 165 grain in the .40 caliber weapons. For .45 the Ranger T talon is issued.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts