1911Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I had a clean Tisas GI type 1911 tagged for me to put on layaway when it dropped from purchase hold. It just dropped, but... In the box of used handguns I got in from Central is a Glock 31C in .357 SIG.

Normally, I'd just say, "meh" and put it out for sale. I've had about 8 Glocks and they generally don't feel good to me. This one though has been set up by someone who was serious about shooting it and it fits and points pretty good.

It has fiber optic sights, extended slide and mag release, not to mention the added beavertail and grip decal set that makes it point for me so I actually see lined up sights and not about the front third of the slide. Nice, competition trigger that breaks clean and light. Oh yeah, and that nice Texas endplate on the slide.

So I haven't had a .357 SIG yet, and I know the ammo isn't as cheap as 9mm, but I've found good stuff online for decent prices. The ballistics are interesting as well. And I keep coming back to the fact that set up as it is, this is one Glock I actually like to pickup and point. It feels good in hand. I get the feeling it would be a fun gun to shoot. Plus, I can drop in a .40 barrel either comp or not, and run it as a .40 and have all the things I like on it.

With my discount I should be able to get it for around $350. I have a SA Loaded 1911 and the Tisas and Rocks are available pretty reasonable all over. I also have my M&Ps in .45 and .40, an XD40 with TLR1 for the bedsie, and my Ruger SR9c in 9mm. So it's not like I absolutely need it for a SD gun, though I'm sure it would do a pretty fair job at that.

I'm just thinking setup as it is this might be a Glock I could actually warm to and keep. Though there is a G30S that came in that feels and points well in good old .45ACP, as an alternative. But, I hate to say it, that modded G31C has me really thinking I'd like to offer it a chance to earn itself a home.

Any feedback from those of you with G31C or G31s? I keep hearing that some guys with Glocks who also have this model say it is their favorite.

·
Registered
6,216 Posts
I own two 31's and have a 23 converted. I won't get into a caliber war but .40 just never has been my thing. I like .45, 10mm, .357 SIG. Of course I own 9mm and have one 38 Super.

But, for a nice capacity semi auto pistol, I believe the 31 is an extremely viable option. Or the 23/32 if a person prefers the smaller more Glock 19 feel.

The recoil isn't bad, the ballistics are good, what's not to like. I would go for it. And if you won't, I will.

·
Registered
6,556 Posts
I had the 31C and for a while it was even in my EDC rotation. Excellent gun shot like a champ never once had a failure with it. Only problem I was running into was I wasn't able to find much ammo for it. Now, this was back in 2011 and where I was living then was a small town.

Anyways a friend from work his wife was interested in getting her first gun. So, we all went to the range so she could try out different makes and calibers. The 31C made its way into the range bag with others for her to try. She shot that one the best and kept going back to it.

I wasn't planning on selling her one of my guns but she fell in love with it and since I wasn't shooting it that much anymore we did the deal the next day. If I could go back in time maybe I'd have kept it.

The 31C you've found sounds like a good find. I'd get it.

·
Premium Member
20,345 Posts
I love the .357sig. Often carry a G32. I've never found the need for a G31 as I have a G20 in a hotter 10mm for a full size gun, but I'm sure they are as good a gun or better for their purpose than my 32. The only question I'd have is why the "C" model? You are picking a caliber known for it's laserlike speed. Why reduce the velocity intentionally? My 32 is easy to handle, and I'd imagine a 31 would be easier yet, without the cuts. I'd want every extra fps that long barrel would give me. Of course, it would be a simple matter to install a non-c barrel and ignore the slide cuts. The price is certainly right!

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The only question I'd have is why the "C" model? You are picking a caliber known for it's laserlike speed. Why reduce the velocity intentionally? My 32 is easy to handle, and I'd imagine a 31 would be easier yet, without the cuts. I'd want every extra fps that long barrel would give me. Of course, it would be a simple matter to install a non-c barrel and ignore the slide cuts. The price is certainly right!
Primarily because this particular gun just happens to be a C model and the way it is set up really appeals to me. Then again, I've never had a compensated pistol so it would be nice to try out just once, especially for fast range drills. A change of pace.

If I do get it I already figured on eventually getting a non-C .40 S&W barrel for it with a few extra mags in case I wanted to run .40 or use it for a house gun with a light. If I really get into .357 SIG I could also change out to a non-C barrel in that too, yet stay with the comped barrel if I decide I really like it.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
If you don't reload then forget the .357 SIG. Period. It's a great round, but expensive and hard to find locally. Listen to your wallet and not your lust.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
I can't afford any more guns right now but if I didn't have my Commander i would strongly consider a Glock 31, My brother in law bought one last year so I get to shoot the heck out of it, It seems to push back into my hand more than recoil up, a tad on the noisy side but I seem to be able to shoot tighter groups with this thing than any service auto I've tried. I really think it might make a fine outdoors-mans gun.

·
Premium Member
20,345 Posts
And they will handle the hot loads.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I say go for it....I would never carry a ported gun though. Shooting from retention gives yourself a fireball to the face. No good.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
If you don't reload then forget the .357 SIG. Period. It's a great round, but expensive and hard to find locally. Listen to your wallet and not your lust.
This ^

Had a 31 and I do not reload. The stores around me almost never have it in stock and when they do prices are inflated. A 9mm +P or +P+ will come close and you can find cheap 9mm practice ammo all day long.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I've got a 31 and like it a lot. The 357 Sig is a great defense round and in my eyes the 31 is the perfect platform for it. I'm an avid reloader so ammo really isn't an issue to me, however it's not an easy pistol round to reload for several reasons. I say go for it!

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Appreciate the responses.

I agree I'd not want a comped gun for carry in case of fire from retention. I kind of like my beard the way it is.

As for people who say a comped gun will blind you at night I saw an interesting video on YouTube where the guy was testing out a G31 deliberately loaded with hot loads using Blue Dot and light bullets to get maximum flash. They compared a ported barrel with a non ported barrel, changing between for each loading. There was a different shape to the flash, but about the same effect overall. They didn't seem to have any issues with suddenly going night blind. Oddly enough, the factory SD ammo seemed to have more flash.

I'm not even considering local ammo purchases. We have a Walmart, a True Value (Interesting name since their guns and ammo are way overpriced, but they do have a great selection of fasteners and hardware.) and that's about it. So it would be online ammo purchases and maybe reload later. Heck, I recently ordered 500 rounds of .45 ACP online. Checking online I'm not seeing the .357 SIG anymore expensive than .45 ACP and in a few cases cheaper. More on par with .40 S&W.

Since the real draw is the way the gun is set up aftermarket the idea of picking up a .40, non-ported barrel and running the gun as a .40 most of the time for the range has a strong appeal. Maybe save the .357 SIG for those originally intended velocity loads, though it would probably take reloading to get those as most factory loads seem to have dropped about 100 fps from the original velocity target. I have to admit, a 125 grain JHP at around 1450 FPS appeals to me as something to have on hand.

Actually, the trigger on this particular G31C is too light for carry or defensive work. It's definitely competition and range oriented.

I go to work in a little bit and will have to fondle it some more then hand it to the boss so he can get area manager approval for the discount. Yeah, some jerk in another store was playing pricing games with himself and his co-workers and now we have to get AM approval for our firearms buys in the store.

I've enjoyed the feedback from those with hands on. It does sound like a pretty nice gun. For a Glock. :D

·
Registered
733 Posts
I have a Glock 32 and like it.
These are chronographed averages for 5 shots from the 4'' barrel:
Winchester Ranger T 125 gr. @ 1,340 fps / 499# KE
Speer Gold Dot 125 gr. @ 1,344 fps / 501# KE
Federal HST 125 gr. @ 1,358 fps / 512# KE

·
Premium Member
20,345 Posts
I love my G32. Same size as a G19 which I like too. Can't compare the above stats with a 9mm though. Not even +p+, which costs more than .357sig and beats a G19 to death.

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Been so busy with work I haven't had time to fondle the gun or even give the info to my boss to get clearance on the employee discount sale. I'm going to have to travel about 3 hrs away for a few days mid-week as my mother-in-law is not doing well and this seems to be it. The wife is already there.

However, when I finally make the decision and get it on layaway I'll let folks know. Appreciate the responses.

Now that Tisas 1911 may only be a simple GI type, but well, you know how it is when you pick up a 1911. I already have my loaded and I'm actually partial to knock around GI types. I'd agree with get both, but there is a gun or two that will be coming out in a week or two that I have my eye on. So one of the two now, and one of the others later.

So many guns, so little money. I guess making choices is good for building character. ;)

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, heck. After all that, and I do appreciate the great responses, I decided to pass on the G31C and put it out in the case for sale. A lot to like about it, but the added beavertail and the grip decals that made gun point so well for me also made it feel just a bit too fat in my hand.

Being as I only have the SA Loaded as my only 1911, but plenty of mags and a few holsters, not to mention some grips needing a place reside that isn't in a drawer, I decide to just go with the Tisas 1911 I originally was going for. I'm one of those odd ducks that actually likes a GI type and likes such type to have actual GI type sights.

I put both guns side by side and did some presentations both simulating from holster and just grabbing the gun laying on a table. The G31C with the grip mods came up nice, but felt a bit fat. The basic, GI sighted Tisas just did what a basic 1911A1 does. It "points like the right hand of God."

With my discount I'll also get the Turkish 1911 for around $300 pretty much NIB and there is an extra Colt 8 Round mag with it. I've had good luck with the Turkish built Stoeger Cougars and with the Philippine RIA, so I can give this the Tisas a test out and see how it does at a price I can get back if I decide I don't care for it. The safety has just that right amount of snick and amount of pressure required to engage or disengage. I've always had to have that worked on with all of my Springer GI and MILSPECs I've had over the years. Always too heavy and sometime severely too heavy.

The Loaded is nice in that respect, but the edges of the ambi safety on the Loaded are sharp and I anticipate it won't feel all that well when shooting thumb over safety as I do.

Again, much appreciation for all the feedback and information on the G31C. I promised I would follow up when I made my decision.

I just also happen to have a hold tag on a Mossy 500 basic HD gun that's we purchased and is waiting on the hold period for it. It will go nicely with the Tisas and the Mossy will fit in with my 8 shot, 500 that will get built up a little. The 8 Shot will get a conservative tattycool treatment, the new Mossy will be the middle basic gun that will be the real HD gun, and my old, wood stocked Mossy HD gun will get a Raptor pistol grip and be set up as a special purpose PG only gun.

There's just something comfortable and classic about a basic 1911 and a no frills, riot barreled, pump shotgun. Unless you're on the other end of course. ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts