1911Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the Ultra Compact 1911's suffer alittle in reliability due to the shortning of the slide. Which steals from Peter to pay Paul.
I was wondering if the new .45 Gap ammo might help this out?
It's a Shorter round and probably has a faster recoil pluse.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
t-tac said:
I know the Ultra Compact 1911's suffer alittle in reliability due to the shortning of the slide. Which steals from Peter to pay Paul.
I was wondering if the new .45 Gap ammo might help this out?
It's a Shorter round and probably has a faster recoil pluse.
Actually it would just make it worse. Cartridges that have a shorter OAL than .45 ACP (.40 S&W, .357 Sig, 9x19) tend to be less reliable in 1911s.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
My 1911s will not be associated with the g word for any reason, unless its a direct comparison of which is better. :D

·
Registered
71 Posts
As a defensive or combative round, .45 GAP seems in many ways to be an answer in search of a problem. The reduced case capacity, however, might make it worth investigating for target wadcutter loads. That's my theory, anyway, and I'm eager to test it when barrels become available.

Anyone know if such an animal exists yet?

·
Registered
625 Posts
.45 ACP by design is a poor cartridge simply because it's short and fat, but it works because that is what the 1911 was designed around. Severely shorten that round and you will have feeding problems.

The only people who'll benefit from .45 GAP are IDPA revo shooters using Smith 625s.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Well, in a gun designed for it IN THEORY you'd have a faster cyclical rate due to the shorter recoil stroke. In practice however I'm not sure there would be a mesuarable improvement in getting back on target. There's just so many factors. I don't see an advantage in a conventional 1911 size frame.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Hmm...I just picked up one of these and would be interested in the ballistics of the new GAP cartridge (seems they run a little hotter than a standard 45 ACP round). The Feb/Mar addition of Handguns Magazine has an interesting article on the Glock 37 and the new GAP cartridge. I guess time will tell if further development of the GAP cartridge warrants improvement or other ammo manufacturers pick it up.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
t-tac said:
I would think the shorter round would be perfect for the shorter guns. better cycling.
Maybe, if the gun was designed for that cartridge. A 1911 isn't. It is designed for a .45 ACP, and works well with cartridges of that overall length or close to it. Using shorter cartridges in that design just makes it less reliable, on average. If you built a gun from scratch for .45 Glock, that would be a different story. But in a 1911, it would be hard to get it to feed reliably because of the short OAL.

Of course, cutting back the barrel from 5" to 3" also makes it less reliable, on average. So a micro 1911 in .45 Glock would be the worst of all possible worlds, or close to it, as far of your odds of getting one that would actually run. You could probably design a itty bitty gun from scratch in .45 Glock that would work well, but just chambering a gun designed for .45 ACP in .45 Glock wouldn't do you any good.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I read the article in Handguns mag about the".45 GAP" and had two thoughts, first is what GAP? There is no GAP in a .45's A gap is an empty space, and none of my .45's have or need an empty space. The second thought was about the GAP store, an expensive place where Yuppies and kid's shop for stuff to make them look cool. What in the world does this have to do with guns?

I love my 1911's and have been shooting them for 30 years, and the older I get, the less impressed I am with the new stuff gun makers put on the market to boost sales!

Just my opinion...
Byrd

·
Registered
693 Posts
I know GAP stands for Glock Automatic Pistol, but I was just being silly. In the years I have been shooting, it just amazes me how many new guns and cartridges have come and gone that are supposed to fill a GAP where none really exists! Isuppose there is a lot of competition among the manufacturers for what in reality is a small market.

There is a rich kid that shoots at our range that brings a NEW PISTOL EVERY WEEK, and they are all top of the line-SIG , HK Performance Center, etc. but the kid cannot shoot! He will not listen if someone tries to help, and I think he brings all these new guns to try and impress "the guys at the range" and it makes me wonder if the gun companies are targeting people like this that jump on the latest bandwagon.

Just my opinion on a lot of the new stuff on the market FWIW

Byrd

·
Registered
836 Posts
Just a side note, I am interested by the Glock vs 1911 emotions out there and how some 1911 lovers are Glock haters I do not understand this....they are my favorite!! All I shoot is Glocks and 1911's. I like the simplicity they present. The single trigger pulls, the resulting speed, etc. I feel they are more similar than other designs in principle. I can't stand double action guns. It seems like 1911 lovers would hate Beretta, SIG, etc. NOT Glocks!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts