1911Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't get me wrong...I like the single action 2.5lb to 5lb triggers on my 1911's a lot...They are unbeatable...I have a couple of Grocks that I have had for years...One is a super old Austrian marked gun...I used to hate the triggers on them...Almost sold the guns...Over the years I have grown used to them...I took a couple of guns to the range that I havn't shot in a while...The Glocks and 2 1911's that I know shoot 1" @ 25yards...The Glocks shot almost as good as the 1911's and they don't usually do that...Dad gum I guess I have gotten used to the darn trigger...It's a slow pull but crisp at the end...

·
Premium Member
4,787 Posts
I don't have a problem with Glock pistols. A totally different beast, to be sure, but definitely valuable. Steve has a G21 that hasn't been cleaned in years. Just last Saturday, we threw it in the mud, stomped it in deep, shook it out, checked the chamber & barrel and blasted away. The trigger was horrible (over 8lbs when we tested it later on), but functional and consistent, resulting in very nice 25 foot groups.

http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=5&f=4&t=6621&page=1#42085

At Adco Firearms, we have fun!:eek:

Damian

·
Registered
33 Posts
The funny thing is, I get faster times on the plate with my G24 than my Kimber. Go figgure. I like shooting the kimber better, but the clock tells no lies.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I have tried to love Glocks, but I just can't get past the squishy trigger myself.
Heck I couldn't even get satisfied with a Smith 3914 I had

·
Premium Member
20,434 Posts
"Glock triggers aren't all that bad."

Isn't that kinda like kissing your sister or riding a Honda? Feels good, but you don't want your friends to find out! :D

·
Registered
385 Posts
I've tried Glock perfection several times, but it just ain't for me. Sucky trigger. Yup, you CAN get used to it, but why bother? Blocky frame patterened after a 4X4, horrible grip angle. Other than that, can't find anything I don't like.

·
Registered
554 Posts
after you learn the Glock trigger's short reset. Once you train your finger to the short reset, the trigger seems lighter (it is), follow-on shots are much quicker and your group size with get smaller. It's just a matter of training.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Having owned Glocks almost since their introduction, I have no problem with them, and I find the Glock trigger quite manageable.

The sine qua non of a "good" trigger is consistency, that is, the SAME pull every time. The Glock has this.
While it's not a tuned 1911 trigger, it's still quite functional.
Compared to a traditional semiauto DA trigger (meaning just-plain-awful DA first shot, crappy-but-consistent SA for subsequent shots), I'll take the Glock. Every time.
When done right, a Glock trigger approximates an H&K P7M8 trigger (when the squeeze cocker is held depressed), "almost" a single action.

Glocks are much-maligned pistols on this and other boards, and are sycophantically worshipped at Glock Talk OTOH, but IMNSHO they are simply good, functional defensive small arms, quite admirable in the functional economy and simplicity of their design, quite reliable (certainly no less so than a well-turned-out 1911, and maybe moreso), acceptably accurate, homely-but-lovable. Not "perfect", but what is?

Who couldn't like a gun that works and is functionally designed without frills? Kinda like the 1911 was regarded at its introduction, when folks compared it to polished traditional revolvers, before its acolytes deified it.

I prefer the 1911, but it's silly to talk as though the Glock is innately bad. It's not. You may not like it, but that's just "taste". (De gustibus non disputandem est)

·
Registered
104 Posts
riverdog said:
after you learn the Glock trigger's short reset. Once you train your finger to the short reset, the trigger seems lighter (it is), follow-on shots are much quicker and your group size with get smaller. It's just a matter of training.
You can modify the trigger so it is always short like that. I did it to a G17 so that the first trigger pull is like a reset. Works great!

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
And hey AZ Husker, what's wrong with Hondas?

The Japanese took motorcycling from the traditional long-piston-stroke V-twin vibration-rattle-prone loud thing it had been (Hardly Ableson, Indian) and developed it into the multi-piston short stroke efficient quiet economical always-runs-forever format.

To each his own!

While the inarticulate Harley crowd can only speak of "rice burners" when referring to the Japanese bikes, and say "if you have to ask, you wouldn't understand" in defending their own (and to be fair, it must be admitted that HD has been trying to update their technology recently), the Japanese have clearly upstaged them in quality, reliability, longevity, and fuel economy.

I appreciate HD and Indian for their traditionalism, and BMW's opposed twin for its Teutonic sensibility, and the intracacies of Italian camming arrangements' efficiency, but I also appreciate the Japanese bikes' economic reliability.

I've owned American, Japanese and German bikes, and they all have their good and bad points.

Hey, I'll argue about anything this morning (No Work)! Boy, time to stop reading and writing posts and start helping my wife making turkey-related stuff!

·
Registered
33 Posts
but I also appreciate the Japanese bikes' economic reliability.
You forgot mind blowing performance. Something about roll on wheelies in 5th gear and dragging an elbow in corners always gets me going. Try that on a Hardly Dawdling.

You can modify the trigger so it is always short like that. I did it to a G17 so that the first trigger pull is like a reset. Works great!
How'd you do this mod? If you did it using an "undertravel stop" it's not really a good idea. All of the safetys are disengaged and you wind up with a single action, non drop safe, no trigger safety, gun. :eek:

·
Registered
554 Posts
I agree with bushflyer, leave the Glock trigger as is and learn to use it. Training your finger keeps all the Glock's built in safeties intact.

·
Registered
96 Posts
My practical G34 has a decent trigger, but compared to everything else I own it would be about the middle of the pack. My Old Mossberg shotgun has the worst trigger I have ever come across to date.

·
Registered
280 Posts
G34 Trigger

Got two Glocks the 34 trigger is a better than the 19 but in fairness the 19 has decent ( not great by any means ) combat trigger.

·
Premium Member
3,232 Posts
Got G34 and it was pretty decent..sent it to Charlie Vanek and got back a really nice trigger..think it breaks about 1.5 pounds..definitely not for carry..just for games..

·
Registered
14,957 Posts
I use Scherer 3.5# connectors on my four Glocks. They all break under four # and aren't too bad. Within the next week or so, I'll be trying the Ghost Rocket connector, which offers and overtravel stop.

I routinely shoot out to 100 yds. with my Glocks and don't have too much trouble hitting pretty small targets at that range.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I will never be without a Glock. I know they weren't the first polymer (sp) framed pistol, but I don't think anyone has done it better than them. Sorry for the poor grammer.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts