1911Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 248 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Glock series of pistols has been with us for a couple of decades now and remains quite popular. Comparing the Glock to the newer generations of polymer-framed handguns from H&K, S&W, Springfield Armory, etc., how does it hold up in the areas of reliability/accuracy/ergonomics? Are the newer guns superior in those regards?

·
Registered
547 Posts
Just because a gun has a polymer frame and steel slide doesn't make it a Glock or Glock "beater". Something these manufacturers (marketers) don't understand is its also in conjunction with the Glock trigger reset, grip angle (yes, grip angle) and overall economy of design that made Glocks popular. Sure, aggresive pricing, marketing, cheap parts, ease of maintenance, Glock's established reputation etc. all work to Glocks benefit but there's more to it than that.

A Glock is a Glock. A HKP30 is an HKP30. A SIGPro is a SIGPro. A P99 is a P99. They all have different triggers, trigger reset, configurations and recoil characteristics. The only thing they have in common is that they have a polymer frame and steel slide. Look beyond the obvious and judge each gun or design on its merits. (For example, I still shoot a single stack 5" all steel 1911 because no one has improved on that basic 1911 design.) Did the manufacturers succeed in what they were trying to do? And most importantly which can I shoot best in competition or under stress.

In short the answer is no. There are just more choices and options.

·
Registered
415 Posts
it just like a glock

Slater said:
The Glock series of pistols has been with us for a couple of decades now and remains quite popular. Comparing the Glock to the newer generations of polymer-framed handguns from H&K, S&W, Springfield Armory, etc., how does it hold up in the areas of reliability/accuracy/ergonomics? Are the newer guns superior in those regards?
I always enjoy a new shooter with a glock look alike, yadda yadda. their pet slogan is, it made just like a glock, or it is better than a glock. always nice to know that glocks are still the gun that everything else is compared to and to this day still sets the standards of what is a good reliable handgun...

Komatsu makes one hell of a bulldozer, looks just like a caterpillar, but it is not a caterpillar. Can't name me to many handguns that have endured over 25 years like the glocks have with virtually no real changes, other than grips, which is debatable today even as to why they even did that...

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
I seriously thought about a glock until I held an XD. The XD is very glock-like IMO, but they did do a couple things different that I like better and therefore the XD is what I bought. The grip angle is a lot more comfortable for me on the XD, the glock is just swept too far back for my taste. I also like the single action trigger on the XD better than the glock.

My XD has been nothing but fun, reliable, and ACCURATE (seriously :D, I was expecting less).

·
Registered
674 Posts
I think where Glock loses ground on the new offerings is the ability to adapt to different shooters hands. I like Glocks, but some have trouble with the grip thickness and grip angle. The M&P, SiG 250, HK P30, Walther P99 and PPS can be made to fit different individuals needs without permanently modifying the gun. Some polymer guns are ambidextrous, not a huge disadvantage for Glock since only a small percentage of people are left handed, but still a disadvantage.

IMO, if Glock changes their pistols to allow the backstrap to be changed to fit different shooters they'll continue to be the leader among polymer guns.

·
Registered
673 Posts
My opinion

I believe that the originators of the polymer frame, makes the best pistols. But I will have to choose the Glock over HK.

The reason why I choose the Glock.
1. The price of the Glock pistol is almost half the price of the cheapest HK.

2. Any moron can completely disassemble it, and replace any parts w/o fitting (factory parts).
I’m sure that HK isn’t any different, but reason number three, sets it apart from other polymer pistols.

3. You can get Glock parts almost anywhere.
The only other pistol that has parts more accessible, is the 1911.

4. You can’t forget marketing.
Glock perfection :D

·
Registered
11,101 Posts
gmcal said:
Some polymer guns are ambidextrous, not a huge disadvantage for Glock since only a small percentage of people are left handed, but still a disadvantage.

Left hander here, not many guns have an ambidextrous slide release, some guns you can operate the slide release with the trigger finger without shifting your grip and others you must slingshot the slide whereas the typically located magazine release button can be operated with the trigger finger of the firing hand.

I dont think ambidexterity is a big winner.

·
Registered
15,319 Posts
opinion

IMO certain newer guns far exceed the Glock's "Perfection", to include the new S&W M&P line, the new Ruger Glock-beater, the FN, and maybe the Steyr (need more trigger-time to confirm THAT choice).

Glock has hype and price still going for it.

Like most products, one that's twenty years old is often passed by one with more modern techniques employed.

Yes, exceptions abound, like the 1911 (but even that has seen significant change; check and hold an actual 1911 vs a basic S&W / Kimber / Taurus .....).

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Oh, yeah I forgot about ambi-ness. That's a big selling point for me too. We southpaws are regularly forgotten in the gun world, so when someone remembers I move their product to the front of the list.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Glocks are supposed to have slide "locks" instead of slide releases aren't they?

I can easily lock the slide with my left hand trigger finger so I don't think the setup of the gun is unfriendly to lefties.

·
Registered
552 Posts
My opinion too

Must admit that Glock is still king of the hill in polymer guns. But they are losing ground. The XD is an excellent gun. But the M&P is the future.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Yeah right...The M & P is the future alright...Just like the Sigma was. S and W makes great revolvers, but all they can do is try to copy others when it comes to auto loaders. Nobody will compete with Glock. Like many others have said, marketing, HUGE law enforcement use, pricing, availability, etc, etc put Glock on top decades ago and they havent looked back.

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
Smith & Wesson still has a huge history/heritage with police sales to live up to, American made and all that!

If the M&P series is proven as reliable, as accurate, and shooter friendly, and perhaps more ergonomic, why not choose it over a foreign weapon?

·
Registered
552 Posts
notaglockhater2 said:
Yeah right...The M & P is the future alright...Just like the Sigma was. S and W makes great revolvers, but all they can do is try to copy others when it comes to auto loaders. Nobody will compete with Glock. Like many others have said, marketing, HUGE law enforcement use, pricing, availability, etc, etc put Glock on top decades ago and they havent looked back.
Another well spoken GlockNazi!!

·
Registered
770 Posts
hemicuda said:
I believe that the originators of the polymer frame, makes the best pistols. But I will have to choose the Glock over HK.

The reason why I choose the Glock.
1. The price of the Glock pistol is almost half the price of the cheapest HK.

2. Any moron can completely disassemble it, and replace any parts w/o fitting (factory parts).
I’m sure that HK isn’t any different, but reason number three, sets it apart from other polymer pistols.

3. You can get Glock parts almost anywhere.
The only other pistol that has parts more accessible, is the 1911.

4. You can’t forget marketing. Glock perfection :D
I agree with all of your points, it's a great escape weapon if things were to go bad.

·
Registered
15,319 Posts
I believe

I believe Glock will fade in this country's marketplace; fade to Ruger and S&W.

One never really believed that either would allow Glock to continue monopolizing THEIR LE market, did one?

Newer technologies (and the concomitant desire for 'latest 'n greatest'), aging Glocks, some small cracks in "Glock Perfection", and an increasing desire to 'buy American' will all shape the future sales.

·
Registered
72 Posts
If Glocks were designed by humans rather than robots, perhaps they could win back any market share they've lost. They're great engineering-wise, but they feel like a brick.

·
Premium Member
1,255 Posts
WESHOOT2 said:
I believe Glock will fade in this country's marketplace; fade to Ruger and S&W.

One never really believed that either would allow Glock to continue monopolizing THEIR LE market, did one?

Newer technologies (and the concomitant desire for 'latest 'n greatest'), aging Glocks, some small cracks in "Glock Perfection", and an increasing desire to 'buy American' will all shape the future sales.
I'm not going to choose sides in this discussion, but if S&W and Ruger DID actually gain an edge on Glock in sales be it in the LE, civilian market or what have you...i'm wouldn't be surprised to see them pull a rabbit out of their hat. I'm only guessing, but currently, Glock may only see the need for small cosmetic differences ie...light rail, finger grooves.

Anything of significance i'm sure, would be nothing short of eye opening. :eek:

·
Registered
531 Posts
The Glock concept started a new and wonderful change in pistols. It allowed large capacity, easy trigger use and safety. We owe Glock a debt.
That said, the Glock is not for me; the grip profile does not suite me well, they have improved on this but it still is not good. The trigger makes quick second shot more difficult and hinders accuracy over single action.
The Glock type pistols are here to stay, and I'm glad. Your hand and shooting style is not the same as mine, and for me to tell you the 1911 profile is the only way to go would be silly. The Glock and its relatives give us so many other alternatives for a more "custom fit".
Try them all, yours, your buddys, etc. and get the platform that works for your. Don't let anyone say you are a Glock beater or you have to have the 1911 platform.
I don't have a Glock, but you will find a Sig in my gun cabint and a few others.
Thank you Glock

·
Registered
283 Posts
I love my Glocks. I recently sold my persoal G27 in order to buy my Micro-Compact but the only reason I did that is because I have an issued G27 also which I can carry when I want. :)

Did I say I love my Glocks? lol ;)

1 - 20 of 248 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.