1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody happen to see the piece on Fox News Channel with the guy that trains the special forces dudes?

The news guy has his wonderful,super-reliable,greatest-gun-design-in-history Glock on his hip.The guy says "shoot!"The news guy pulls the most wonderful weapons design in history out of his holster,fires it once,and ! FTF.The guy hollers "fix it!"The news guy smacks the magazine.FTF.The guy hollers "fix it!" again,the news guy smacks the back of the slide,the gun fires.

Most dependable semi-auto ever made.Yeah,right.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Hmmm.....news guy. Never fired a gun before. Wants to look cool for his boss and the weathergirl by doing a "terrorist-related" story about guns. Limp wrists the first shot. Has no idea what a tap-rack-bang is. Looks like an idiot on tape. Makes Glock look bad. "News story" about Glock unreliability spreads like wild fire on Internet. Film at 11??

·
Registered
841 Posts
I seem to hear a lot of stories of guys blowing up their Glocks. Is this due to guys still trying to shoot lead through them or just bad reloading?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Here we go again. Go to any Glock forum and try to find all the FTF problems. OK now just stay on this forum and do the same. Thats what I thought.

[This message has been edited by EOS1D (edited 10-25-2001).]

·
Registered
207 Posts
Glock. Much better combat handgun than a 1911. It was made to be abused, and to withstand it. Then you hear of the 1911 problems with all the different makes. Not to mention the magazine, and ammo finikyness of the 1911. That is just like a person with a skewed perception... see one negative thing and apply to the whole. If that is the case these 1911 are no good. What gun functions flawlessly? Too many other factors to consider. Ammo, magazine, shooter grip. etc. What a waste of forum space....

·
Registered
63 Posts
Maybe it is just me, though I prefer the 1911, I do own 5 Glocks in a mix of .40 and .45. In almost 3000 rounds of shooting between the 5 I have never had a malfunction of any sort. Attractive guns, defintely not in the sense of a 1911 or HP.

Problems can be had with any gun! Shoot, shoot, and shoot to make sure that gun is reliable. So far my Glocks have proven themselves reliable, but so has my Kimber and HP.

Tim

·
Registered
284 Posts
Seen the episode.. Training was meant to put the shooter in as stressfull a situation the instructor could muster. Could it possibly be that the magazine had "dummy" rounds mixed in with live rounds to test the students proficiency in clearing them?? I highly suspect that was the case.

Rick

------------------
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms ... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. ... Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." -- Thomas Jefferson

[This message has been edited by Bandit (edited 10-25-2001).]

·
Registered
27 Posts
unless it was a dummy round, i think ACP hit it on the head, limp wrist, its funny how people come out of the wood work to crit. glock, i can honestly say, its the 1st jam i have EVER heard about it.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I think the whole "Glock vs. 1911" debate has worn itself out.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Originally posted by Rocklobster:
...the news guy smacks the back of the slide,the gun fires.
Does someone know if it would be possible that the gun fired because the slide was just shy of being fully closed and the trigger was held back when the slide closed fully?

·
Registered
254 Posts
I agree with Tim and GI-45. The whole Glock vs 1911 has really worn itself out. I'm a 1911 fan and I always will be, but like Tim, I have a couple of Glocks also, and do just fine.

mavrick

·
Registered
26 Posts
I wouldn't believe everything you see on TV. Especially how the media portrays something. As far as Glocks & 1911's, I like both. Never had a problem with my G22.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The same guys who bash Glocks probably have those moronic "Piss On XXXXXX" (fill in the blank with some product you think will make you look cool if you slam it).

As mentioned earlier, both 1911's, even the best customs, and Glocks will malfunction. What is important, when speaking in generalizations, is:

Which gun (Glock or 1911) is more likely to malfunction based on design?

And:

Which gun gives you the best overall results?

If I had to choose a gun as my one and only sidearm for protection, and if that gun had to come from a stack of Glocks or a stack of 1911's (comprised of a mixture of Colts and various clones...but no LLamas or anything like that), I would go with the Glock.

My selection would not be based on anything read on this or any other forum, but rather it would be based on MY personal experiences with both guns. Remember, each gun is unique and there are lemmons in virtually any population of virtually anything produced; guns, cars,trucks,pens,etc.

If you only own one type, get the other, shoot it extensively and THEN draw a conclusion.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I own both,and several other types as well,including the divine Sig,and fire them all often.ALL will FTF or otherwise malfunction from time to time.

·
Banned
217 Posts
Funny, I was thinking about FTF's I've had with 1911'a. I can't remember any on the second round. Maybe I've had some but I can't remember them.

My 1911 FTFs have come after 6+ rounds down range. I have a magazine that I use for training because it will give me FTFs every now and then.

Regarding Glocks. I've got a G19 that will FTF with Wolf ammo once in a great while. This same G19 hadn't FTF'd for over 5K rounds of Remington/Federal/PMP/S&B/Reloads.

Why am I jabbering about this? Two reasons: (1)Every gun I've owned, including a S&W M27, would fail without warning me in advance.
(2)I must accept that they can & will fail and learn to clear/beat/curse/throw them appropriately.

------------------
Have a great day!

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I know we've beat this Glock vs the 1911 debate all to hell.....

I've carried the same Glock Model 22 for duty use since 1995. It now has over 15,000 rounds through it. (Mostly factory Federal Hydra Shoks, American Eagle FMJ, Winchester Tallon & Ranger FMJ, and some of my own 180 gr lead SWC). I HAVE NEVER HAD A FTF WITH THIS GLOCK. For practice I will load my mags intermitently with 'dummy rounds' to practice clearance drills. For the past year I have been alternating with a Glock Model 27 (compact) for plainclothes carry. This mini-Glock now has about 750 rounds through it - same thing, no FTF's.

I love, own and shoot 1911's but I feel I can depend on my Glock if and whenever I might need to use it.
Best, NAA.

------------------
Colt 1911: Best damn "Government" in the World!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Originally posted by Peak:
It was staged to practice clearing a jammed weapon.
I agree. Consider that the newsguy seemed to know what to do.

BTW, that "Crucible" company got some great free national coverage (advertising).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts