1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and Officers sized guns?

I'm wondering if there is any downside to getting a holster for a GM and using it for Commander and Officer sized guns. I plan to get a GM down the road, and having one good holster would be nice, unless there is good reason not to do that.

I'm thinking of a VM2 or Maxcon V.

Thanks...

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
That works fine, so long as you don't mind the holster being longer than the gun. When I started carrying a commander, I used my GM holster, but quickly realized that the commander was even more comfortable with the shorter holster. It's really up to you.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
I've done this.
There's no real downside AFAIC.
The lower extent of the "full size" holster tends to cushion your hip from any tendency of the shorter slide to dig into your hip when carried in a shorter holster.

With a really soft floppy holster, it might make the later use of the rig difficult with a GM, due to the lower part of the holster becoming compressed or bent, but with a well made, stiff leather holster there's no problem at all; the holster I've done this with (a Matt Del Fatti ISP-SS) works equally well for Comander and GM 1911s.

Best.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Have done the same

with a good quality leather holster. Used a 5" holster to carry both a 4" and occasionally a 3" gun. No real downside that I experienced, except as noted, the smaller holster might be more comfortable for you. For me it was a non-issue.

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Sometimes, that is the best way to go. I had a Davis IWB, which I cut down to fit flush with my Detonics MK IV. I wore it to Disney World and within two-hours, I was having serious pain in my hip / sciatic area. I had to run to the restroom every half-hour and change from strong-side to cross-draw to MOB and back. I hurt in each position after a while.
It seems that the combination of the holster and pistol at that length was thick enough to cut into my nerve. Later when I tried to carry the same pistol in a full-length holster, I had no problem.
To me, it is aesthetically pleasing for the holster to be of the same length as the pistol, but it is not critical with an IWB.
Your mileage may very.
ML

·
Registered
687 Posts
Try a holster like my Tucker HF2, which is a sort of modifed belt slide, but super beefy. I can carry either my full size 1911 or my SA Champion(4") with ease. But his design is way more substantial than most "belt slides", basically just cut off at the bottom, with very stiff holster body. My explanation is lacking, check out his web site.;)

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
BTW, some leathersmiths will make holsters for short guns with a longer "tail" to prevent the muzzle from digging into your hip. This accomplishes the same thing as using a GM holster for a Commander or OM-size gun, but with a little less wasted bulk at the bottom of the holster.
Matt Del Fatti is one such, you have only to ask for this option.
www.delfatti.com

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, guys.

My Royal Guard seems to end at just the right length to dig into my er, um, posterior. It is sized for Commander, and hopefully a GM sized holster will just go right over that spot.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts