1911Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well I hope they let me shoot it at least a few times, probably most of the time I will be running and yelling. In a couple weeks I am shipping out for Ft Benning Georgia for basic and AIT Infantry training.

Anyone here go to Benning? Anyone been lately? So far I have heard its really hard then I hear some people say its not nearly as bad as it was.

I have been trying to get in shape but supposedly its mostly mental, any advise for a young buck going through 14 weeks of this?

thanks,
greg

and to all my internet pals have fun with your 1911's this is a great board and thanks for all the good tips.

·
Registered
26 Posts
hi greg,good luck to you.i assume you are going to be an 11 b.went to basic in Ft Benning in 86.I know that was a long time ago,but i doubt it's changed much.the physical part of it isn't that bad,in fact my regular army units were much,much harder physically than basic.the biggest thing in basic is the mind games they play,and absorbing a large amount of knowledge in a very short time.13-15 weeks is not that long.running is probably the thing i had the most problems with,not being much of an athlete myself,but it all came in time.the biggest thing i remember is that it was really hard to get time in the laundry room to wash clothes.

so all in all,i guess if you can take a guy screaming in your face once in awhile and a really bad haircut,it's not that bad.

Stay alert,stay alive!!!:rock:
panzer

·
Registered
312 Posts
Hey Greg,

I was at Benning the summer of 84. Third Battalion Company E. It was truly one of the best times of my life. You will learn alot in a very short time. Always remember it's a big mind game and don't let it get to you. :cool:

·
Registered
582 Posts
Went through jump school in 69. Long time before you were born. Stay cool keep you head up and your ass down. NOW drop and give me ten. AIRBORNE.... Take Care my friend, And Thanks...

·
Registered
414 Posts
well I hope they let me shoot it at least a few times, probably most of the time I will be running and yelling. In a couple weeks I am shipping out for Ft Benning Georgia for basic and AIT Infantry training.
I got to be a Drill Sergeant at Benning back in 91. It was still very physical then but I've heard it's not the same anymore. One thing that has to still be true is the ranges. Benning had some of the nicest M-16 practice and qualification ranges I've ever seen. Very, very nice. You will enjoy that part!

My only other strong memory of that cycle was the required 12 mile road march. Lots of rolling hills. The Drills don't carry packs so you would think it would be easier for us. But I spent the whole 12 miles "cheerleading" for the front half of the unit. I was supposed to be in front but every time I looked around I would see a soldier that needed some "encouragment." I spent a lot of time jogging back and forth. My boots were hot when that march was over!

Gregg

·
Premium Member
20,366 Posts
I heard they can't even hit you anymore! ;)

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
tulsamal said:
I got to be a Drill Sergeant at Benning back in 91. It was still very physical then but I've heard it's not the same anymore. One thing that has to still be true is the ranges. Benning had some of the nicest M-16 practice and qualification ranges I've ever seen. Very, very nice. You will enjoy that part!

What has changed in the last 12 years?

Thats good to hear that I will be getting some rifle time in I love to shoot.:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.