1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading about gold bead front sights. I would like to put one on a pistol, I own. I see that Novak makes one. Do any other companies offer them, or do you have to get your gunsmith to build one from scratch. Also If you have a pistol with a gold bead sight how do you like it.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I have a S&W Gunsite 1911 that came with a gold bead front sight. It's OK, but I wouldn't say I'm in love with it.
It gets sooted up after a shot or two and looks like a black sight, but it's the first shot(s) that count(s) and it's clean then.
I've heard reports of the bead departing the sight early on, but mine is still there after almost 1,000 rds, so I figure it's good.

I have a Ted Yost custom HiPower that has a gold line front sight. That is- it has a vertical gold line inlaid into a black serrated sight.
I love it.
It stays clean, and the gold bar shows up against dark backgrounds while the black parts of the sight show up against light backgrounds.
I like it best of anything I've tried so far.
Many tritium dot inserts give a different point of impact than when aligning the sight body itself. It's not much different, and may not matter, but then again it might. The gold bar and black sight body give the same POI regardless of which I use.
It doesn't fade over time either.

Crummy pictures:

·
Premium Member
20,405 Posts
Second the motion for Ted Yost's gold-inlaid front blade. I've got one on a Colt, and it really is nice!

·
Registered
331 Posts

my daily carry 10mm subcompact has a no.12 size gold shotgun bead front sight and I will never go back to standard sights for my daily carry. I built the gun myself so I got to do all the little things I had always wanted. I do not use a rear sight. I practice point shooting with this little dandy at least three times a week and have gotten to the point that out to 30 yrds I do not need a rear sight, so why have it on the gun. I will probably take alot of crap for this post, but oh well. I works great for me. By the way the pistol is a lightweight colt frame with a caspian stainless slide, 3.5" schumann fitted barrel that has been ported by me. Snakeater

1 - 6 of 6 Posts