1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my new Gold Combat Stainless to the range....I had two boxes of reloads that have generated FTF and FTE in two other 1911's (a Springfield Custom and my Kimber Pro Carry Stainless). They are Rainier plated 230RN in front of 8.9 grains of Blue Dot. The loads are toughbut safe.I think the combination of the OAL, the contour of the bullet, and the softness of the bullet material just has not made my other guns happy.

I'm proud to say that the Gold Combat chewed through without a single malfunction. Not only that..the accuracy was surpirsingly satisfying.

I celebrated the elimination of the frankenstein rounds, made from remnants of material on hand, by popping off 200 additional factory UMCs.

the gun was really dirty afterwords...and a bit warm.....but what a good time I had.

I'm beginning to think I could load up some dried cat-turds in world-war I brass, use wet gunpowder and factory-second primers....and this gun would feed, accurately fire, and eject those cartridges into a neat little pile.

I'm very pleased with my Kimber Kadillac.
Highly recommended

·
Registered
112 Posts
Me too!!!

I just got back from the range with my new Gold Combat (not stainless) S1. This gun is better than I expected! Functioned flawlessly and I was really surprised at the accuracy at 75ft. I'm used to shooting my Stainless Ultra Carry II. This was one purchase I'm glad I made. Thanks AZ Husker for your advice!

·
Premium Member
20,301 Posts
Congratulations guys, I knew you'd like them! Don't let anybody tell you all Kimbers are alike except for goodies. There is truly a difference with the Old Golds!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Uh oh!....it choked twice on 200gr JSWC. It was during an IDPA function so I had to swap out for some Win White Box.
The rounds were reloads so maybe some tuning of the cartridge OAL would help.
Anyone got a known good recipe for 200g SWC for the Gold Combat?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lee factory crimp die on all of them. When I removed the offfending rounds, the bullets did not appear to have moved deeper into the case.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Actually, when you said jam with a reload, the first thing I thought of was a reload or two that wasn't taper crimped or taper crimped proberly. You didn't really discribe the nature of the stoppage, so I just assumed it to be a cause that had happened to me.

Your new found shooting iron is known to be reliable, but possibly tight throated. That is why I suggested the crimp. Again, I have no idea what type of jam you had.

Dobe

I might add that the folks at Wilson feel that the H & G type 200 gr. SWC is one of the best feeding bullets for a .45 ACP.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Dobe,
when dealing with my Gold Combat I make the following assumptions
1). If I miss a shot...the shooter is at fault.
2). If a round fails to load.....the reload is crappy.

The gun is put together well and shoots better than me.
The bullets are the tail end of a batch of Rainier Ballistics 220Gr PSWC. I have always felt they were too soft. I'm sure that's all it was.

I was really unable to study the nature of the misfeeds as I was shooting a match. Rather that taking a look...I performed a tap/rack to get my shot off for the stage.

I'll take the left-overs to the range and get a closer look if any FTF occur.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts