1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As many regulars may recall, I had related stories about some severe cosmetic problems that plagued my recently purchased Gold Combat Stainless (series 1). I bought it new about one month ago. I really wanted Series I so I overlooked some problematic and ugly MIM parts. The beavertail grip safety and the left thumb safety are carbon steel that are very poorly chromed to "match" the stainless parts. The slide stop has voids and hollows in the exterior flat surface and the pin head that pokes out the other side of the frame has some rather nasty ridges (almost a shoulder). Also one-half of the ambidextrous thumb safety is obviuosly (and badly) chromed. It also exhibits some voids and hollows on flat surfaces.

In order to mitigate my embarrassment in front of some of my well informed IDPA buddies, I swapped out these ugly parts with an older Pro-Carry Stainless (S-I) which had much better parts. It made the Gold combat look great.....but really trashed -up my trusty and well loved Pro Carry. The guilt built up and built up until I could take it no more.

This afternoon I wrote and email to Dennis at the Kimber Custom Shop explaining the whole situation. I thought....what the heck...they probably ought to know how I feel. I remained civil and gave them the benefit of the doubt. I also assumed that the problems on this gun would upset a caring manufacturer just as much as me.

I sent the e-mail at about 1:45 p.m.. At about 2:10 p.m. my office phone rang. It was Dennis. He was clearly outraged. After a few questions he indicated the following.
1). The gun was produced about 3 years ago.
2). Even though I purchased it new a month ago...he feels the gun has been floating around at distributors, shops, and God knows where. He feels that it does not represent the sort of piece the Custom Shop turns out.
3). He would replace all parts in question on "good faith".
4). he would make sure the pistol was returned to me post-haste...in time for my next IDPA match.

I have to admit.......I was blown away. 35 minute respose...to some stranger....bitching and whining about a gun that left the shop floor 3 years ago, standing behind it without question.
This has to be too good to be true. IU will ship the gun Thursday or Friday. he says it will ship out the same day it arrives or the very next morning.

I'm crossing my fingers and hoping to tell all you readers a good story when it finally gets back to me. Wish me luck. Stay tuned.:cool:

·
Premium Member
13,220 Posts
45, if the gun was new, who chromed the parts? It's not stock that way. Kimber GS's and safeties are stainless MIM parts on a stainless GC, not CS chromed. :confused:

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I purchased the gun new...from a reputable dealer. The parts are the way they are when purchased (just relocated). Others posts on this site re: this model say they have the same mis-matched parts. Other than that....I don't know what to tell you Kruzr.

·
Premium Member
13,220 Posts
45_THUD said:
I purchased the gun new...from a reputable dealer. The parts are the way they are when purchased (just relocated). Others posts on this site re: this model say they have the same mis-matched parts. Other than that....I don't know what to tell you Kruzr.
Yes, I reread Dana's post. Oh well, hope they fix all for you. Your experience of Dennis's response time to an e-mail mimics mine.

·
Registered
378 Posts
My stainless Kimber has an extractor and slidestop that are gold in color. I've always suspected they were plated instead of stainless parts. I've seen the goldish parts on other stainless Kimbers, but most of them seem to be silver like they should.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
alright now...nobody start griping to Kimber until AFTER I get my gun back. I don't want a flood of complaints while they have my gun. :D

·
Premium Member
13,220 Posts
Hansgraf said:
My stainless Kimber has an extractor and slidestop that are gold in color. I've always suspected they were plated instead of stainless parts. I've seen the goldish parts on other stainless Kimbers, but most of them seem to be silver like they should.
I also had one of the extractors that had a "gold" color on the back. When I replaced it, I got curious and took some sandpaper to it. It came out silver colored and smooth like a mirror when I sanded it. I assumed the bead blast gave it the gold color (but I don't know.) :confused:

·
Administrator
72,493 Posts
My CGS has the exact same crappy-looking parts as 45_THUD's. Except I'm just going to replace the ones in mine with some good stuff from Brownells. It'll cost about $150 however.

·
Premium Member
20,305 Posts
Must be fate. Dana gets the poor Kimber and I get my Colt! :D
I just went and dug out my Gold Combats, and neither have the poorly done parts you guys describe. I wonder if a short bad batch went out of Yonkers?

·
Registered
378 Posts
My extractor and slide stop are gold all over, not just the bead blasted areas. Where the slide stop is worn its normal silver color, so it's only on the surface. Heat treatment is a possibility. Or maybe left over filler on the surface after sintering? I don't worry about it, but do find it curious, expecially since it doesn't appear on all stainless guns.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There is one other possibility. Dennis alluded to it mildly. It's almost too horrible to contemplate.

Both guns came from the same reseller.:mummy:
I shudder to think.....

·
Premium Member
20,305 Posts
THUD...I'd prefer that scenario than to think Kimber has cheapened it's premier pistol so badly.

·
Administrator
72,493 Posts
45_THUD said:
There is one other possibility. Dennis alluded to it mildly. It's almost too horrible to contemplate.

Both guns came from the same reseller.:mummy:
I shudder to think.....
I doubt the reseller in question screwed with the guns. It'd be highly unusual for them to find three sets of hard chromed parts to replace the stainless parts with. Besides, if they're going to do that why only swap half of the ambi safety and leave the other side stainless steel?

BTW my Kimber CGS transformation is almost complete. I received all the parts from Brownells today. The Novak rear sight looks very nice on it. :cool: Now I just have to fit the beavertail when I get the time.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You make some great points. Thanks for rescuing me from that particularly nightmarish vision.
All that matters now is the following:

1) Kimber is making good these embarrassing parts....regardless of their origin.

2). My Pro-Carry is happy to have all of his original parts back.
(Looking good!)

3). I MISS MY GOLD COMBAT ALREADY!!!!:bawling:
Hurry Dennis!

I really got attached to that gun is a surpringly short time.

·
Administrator
72,493 Posts
I've got my GCS with me today, and am going to give it another go at the range today. I'll let you know how it turns out with the new parts in it.

·
Administrator
72,493 Posts
Range report: Fired 100 rounds through my GCS during my lunch break. Trigger is fine now, accuracy is very good, pistol now shoots high and to the left. I had another of the mysterious malfunctions where the cartridge jumped out of the mag during cycling. I can only assume the pistol just doesn't like that magazine.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
what brand of mag caused this. I hope it was the crappy factory mag that shipped with it and not a high-end mag.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts