1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I found one of these NIB at my local gunstore for $1250. The new Kimber price list shows a retail price of $1643. for a new Series II. My first question is: Is it a good price? My second question is: Why are they so expensive? It has about the same features as my new Tactical Custom II, yet lists for almost $600. more. I realize this is supposedly a "Custom Shop" pistol, but is it fitted any better, or different (better) parts used? Help me out here, as I really like this gun, especially the "series 70" operating system, but for this kind of money, I could get a Baer P II or something of that nature. Does the Kimber Series I Gold Combat hold up to those standards? TIA, to all who respond.

Larry C.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anybody?? Surely someone on the Kimber forum must have an opinion or some experience with this gun. Please, help!

Larry C.

·
Registered
64 Posts
A few things different that I can think of right off is the Gold Combat is All Stainless where your Tactical is Almn. frame and black oxidenfinished slide . SS Gold Combact has match SS baarrel and it has about 3.5-4 lb trigger. Then of course a series 1 has no firing pin block. I'd go $1200 out the door.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Gold Combat

You may want to do a search(bottom of page) gold combat, there was a good bit of discussion back some time ago .
Thanks

·
Banned
855 Posts
Rack&Roll,

I don't own a Gold Combat so I can't help you there, but I have talked with Kimber Custom shop alot on the phone. I've sent back my TLE II because of a very loose barrel bushing. In talking with the folks at the custom shop I found out that the bushing aren't "fit" by hand, they're "tried" by hand, and if they fit on the gun, they head out the door. I asked about having a Gold Combat/Match oversized bushing "fit" to my TLE for an extra fee, and they told me that even the Gold series pistols don't have "fit" bushings, just "tighter fitting" bushings than the custom series. The barrels of the Gold series pistols are fit to the gun, and the slide/frame fit is tighter (I don't know by how much, the Custom is already pretty good), but other than that, you're paying alot more than the Custom series for not much improvement IMHO.

At $1200 you're starting to really open up your options to other makes and models. A Les Baer would be an excellent choice, and is going to be my next pistol. They come almost too tight out of the box, have much more actual hand fitting by real human hands, and even the base models have a 3" at 50yd guarantee. Sure there are gremlins than sneak into the occasional pistol regardless of the manufacturer, as can be seen by complaints and praises on any one of the threads on this site. Again IMHO, I think that the Custom series in the Kimber line represents the best value not only within Kimber, but on the market today. If you can find a Series I (series 70/ no firing pin safety), then great. For $1200 I would rather have two Kimber Customs, shoot them both alot, and decide which you wanted to keep------or keep them both:) There's enough slight variation between each pistol that you're likely to find an excellent Custom pistol without spending twice the money. Or, buy a Custom, and have a better trigger job and grip safety done by a reputable smith, and again you've got a better gun for less money. Hope my strong opinions help. ;)

·
Premium Member
3,419 Posts
I have a SS Series 1 Gold Combat and wouldn't trade it for any LB. Not that I don't like LBs, I'd love to have one of those too (although I don't recall seeing one of those in any kind of decent shape for $1250). But my GC will be mine forever. I found it in the local newspaper for $1000 and I've never looked back. It has a very nice fit and finish, it's accurate and runs like a sewing machine. $1200 is probably the most I would pay for one at this time, not that they aren't worth more but I've seen several in the last few months going for $1100 to $1200. I don't know if it's still there but GA had one NIB listed for $1200, of course with FFL fees and shipping your looking at more that the $1250 from the local GS (but I'd still try to talk him down). My honest opinion, if you buy this gun you will not regret it. Once you get your hands on a great pistol, it's cost doesn't seem to matter anymore. Good luck with your choice and give us a report on it if you get it....Sam

·
Premium Member
20,401 Posts
I love my early stainless Gold Combat. It's by far a more superior gun than my Baer TRS. I'd compare them more to Wilson's CQB.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I've got a pre-series II Gold Combat. I'm actually the second and fourth owner. My buddy bought the pistol new and never fired the gun. I put the first 275 rounds through the gun. He still never shot it. I bought it for a backup gun. Put maybe a 1000 rounds through it. Another buddy wanted the gun real bad so I sold it to him for what I paid. He put 500 rounds through it over a two year period. I bought it back for what he paid for it. Sorry off subject.

My Gold Combat had a noticeably better slide to frame fit. It had a smooth 3.5# trigger with no creep. It had sharp 30 lpi checkering and a magwell, not to mention the KimPro finish on mine. It was accurate and reliable and didn't require two people to break the action loose to chamber a round like most of the Baers I've encountered. $1250 NIB isn't a bad price. I think mine was $1343 originally. I'm lucky in that one of Kimber's oldest dealers, not to mention first master dealer is here in town. I've seen as much as $300 difference in prices between this place and other dealers. To me it is worth it not to have the firing pin safety as I've had trouble with it in the past.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Just price

I think it's a good price right now,just think how good it will look 5 years from now.I stopped by my local gun shop today and the owner told me he got a letter from Kimber the other day and they were going up on all kimber models $20 across the board.So that makes it look a little better!

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm touched!

Wow!

Thanks for all of the replies!! I certainly have a lot of food for thought, now. I am pretty sure I'm going to buy the sukk'a!!! It is an awfully nice piece, and they ain't gettin' any cheaper. A new one retails for $1643.!!!
This one is brand new, stainless, and no FPS! I like the analogy to the Wilson CQB, and I like the fact that AZ Husker says it's "far superior" to his Baer TRS. It must be a great gun.
I also appreciate the honest negative feedback. It does seem like a lot more money than the Custom, for not a whole lot of extra handfitting and hand work. In the end though, I think it's a good buy, and besides...I WANT IT!!! What more reason do I need??

Thanks again,
Larry C.:D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts