1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have the chance to trade for a Custom Shop Gold Combat with nite sites and Kimpro finish. What can you guys tell me about this gun? It is a series 1 with box and papers. The guy said he bought it new and has put 150 rounds through it. The gun is in at least 95% condition. What is the gun worth and what is the lowdown on the Kimbro finish? Any input on this gun good or bad would be appreciated. For what it is worth if I did the trade I would end up with about $1,200 in the gun. Thanks!

·
Registered
171 Posts
I am doing the Gold Combat shuffle right now. I recently bought one and am having a few problems with it.
It's probably wearing Kim-Pro because the parts underneath are real ugly. He might be selling becasue of reliability issues.

I'd honestly say that you could expect to pay another $150.-200 in smith and parts costs (maybe more if a refinish is required) to make the gun run well enough to put on your belt.

I'm sorry if this upsets some other Kimber owners....but this is what's happening to me with this pistol. Another one just like mine is in the same shop for the same problems, and I know another forum member opted to just replace parts on a sister gun right out of the box.

If you move forward with the deal and make sure that it runs right.....you'll end up with a great gun. Of course, I'm sure there will be a lot of folks that say they had no problems with their Gold Combats. I'm simply speaking from my very recent experience.

Good luck to you.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Just as another POV, I bought my GC used for about $850, but mine had quite a bit more use then the one you're looking at. The Kimpro finish was wearing in spots, and has worn more since I got it as it quickly became my carry gun. It has been absolutely 100% reliable, though accuracy is a little bit less (not too much) then my other Kimber's. This could be due to a high round count, but who knows. One day i'll treat it to a new fit up barrel, but I can still clean my qual course out to 25 yards with it. If the price is right, go for it.

later,
AJ

·
Banned
575 Posts
The Gold Combat is pretty much top of the line for the Kimber guns. Not sure about Thuds problems - I think he is the first and only person I've read about that has had problems with a Gold Combat and a series one to boot. Problems of ANY kind with a full sized Kimber is rare. It's usually the smaller models that suffer with reliability or feeding issues.

I picked up a used Gold Combat, series I, for about $950 a year ago in a trade/cash deal. It has been simply the best .45 I've owned or shot - ever, and I've owned and shot alot of them. It's smooth as glass and been 100% reliable. The series I guns seem to have a little bit better attention to detail then the newer ones.

$1200 is not out of the ball park for a used Gold Combat as series I guns are getting harder and harder to find. Mine was about 95% too, just a little wear on the Kimpro finish from the edges that contact the holster. Mine gets equal holster time with my Pro Tactical. I love both. The Pro Tactical is lighter so gets the call for all day carry and the Gold Combat for shorter trips. The Gold Combat shoots way better in terms of feel.

The Kimpro finish is simply an option they put on the Gold Combats for those that don't like shiny silver guns (like me). The gun is still stainless steel but has the finish. I seriously doubt it was applied to hide 'ugly' parts. This statement shines a little light on Thuds dismay about his purchase. If I remember he bought a brand new series I and is having some problems and is therefore (and rightly so) not happy.

Most people around here love their Gold Combats and it is generally one of the most lauded models Kimber makes. Do a search on Gold Combats and you'll read many a love story about this fine weapon.

I would see if you can take the gun and put a couple hundred rounds through it just to insure it's reliability. Full size 1911's rarely have any problems whatsoever, even the series II ones and the gun you are looking at is one of the best ever to come out of Kimber. You will know right away if it's a gem or a dud. It will knock your socks off if it's not a lemon.

If you can afford it I would jump all over it or maybe try to talk him down a little. A Gold Combat series I in Kimpro (which is more expensive than the plain stainless ones) at 95% is easily worth a grand. If I was to sell mine I would try to get $1200 for it and probably wouldn't let it go for any less.

Here's a link to the range report I did on mine after I first got it. It's long but has some great info and pictures and some great feedback from others who have owned the same gun.

Here's the link:

Gold Combat range report

Good luck and let us know what you decide!

Methos

·
Registered
171 Posts
Mine is a Gold Combat Stainless Series I that I bought NIB 2 months ago.
If you check out the threads I posted you will see that my dismay has come to me over time....as the problems with the gun surfaced.

My problem started with ugly parts (a cosmetic issue) which Kimber fixed. however, their "fix" caused severe function problems that make the gun unusable in its current condition. Now I'm scared to send it to them again and dismayed that I've had to spend additional money to make a brand-new $1200.00 gun run properly. It's currently on a local smith's bench getting re-born.

As I said...their are probably Gold Combat users that will say they have had no problems. I am not one of them...and I have personal knowledge of two others in a similar boat. That's all. Take it however you want. No sour grapes here....just the facts. Just upset that things have degraded to such a sad condition.

The man asked....I replied.

·
Premium Member
3,405 Posts
Well, here's the other side of the coin, again. I picked a S1 SS Gold Combat about 6 months ago and I love it. It was advertised as having less than 100 rounds through it and I believe that was true. It had absolutely no marks on it and had the Rosewood grips, box, plastic Kimber bag and all the papers. The asking price was also $1200 but I offered $1000 and he took it as long as I bought 700 rounds of PMC FMJ from him for $100 (OK, twist my arm). So I think you can get it cheaper, I've seen a couple at different places on the internet for $1100 since I bought mine. I had a couple feeding issues the first time I shot it but I think it just needed to be broken in. The last time I took it out I went throught 150 rounds with zero failures. I don't know anything about the Kimpro finish, I've never owned one, I actually prefer the SS finish. There you have it, another opinion....Sam

1 - 7 of 7 Posts