1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was haunting some pawn shops today and ran across a Gold Cup chambered for .38 Special. The problem was that it looked like someone had put it in a soaking wet holster and left it there for several weeks...surface rust on both sides of the slide (to the point that it was hard to read the lettering), top strap and all over the frame. Barrel looked good but there was also rust on the hood. SN is 2450-MR and I believe it was all original. Price tag was 899.95. I jokingly offered 300.00 and pawn shop owner said he would take 700.00 for it. Is it worth rescuing at that price?

·
Registered
745 Posts
I can't help you in pricing your rusted beauty, but I can say that about 20+ years ago I had the chance to see, dismount, photograph and shoot a National Match Colt Automatic .38 Special Mid Range (this was the engraving on left side of slide), very rare in Italy. It was a real pleasure to shoot, and its workmanship was excellent, it's the best finished Colt I've ever seen. I have my old photos now on my desk, but I'm not able to put them on Internet, sorry. If barrel and other inner pieces are OK, thinks two times before rejecting it!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
I have a friend who owns 2 of them. He used to be be big into bullseye. They are pretty rare & expensive in good condition, but I wouldn't pay that much for a rust bucket unless you must have one, since you'll have to spend the "savings" over a nice one on restoring the finish anyway.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've pretty much decided that I'm going to pass on that one. It's just a unique handgun that I probably wouldn't have fired that much. Plus, the cost of refinishing has to be factored into the equation. Had it been in better condition I'd have bought it just because it's a Colt.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts

I have a 38 spl mk 3 manf in 67 or so. Paid 550 for it along with about 2000 or so rounds reloading equiptment 2 mags. in 99 plus condition. Even tho it is a mousefart gun I have had a obscene amount of fun going to the range and shooting against someone who does not realize its really a 38 and not a 45. Awesome dbl taps. They do figure it out when they see me reloading mags tho. I digress however, If in good condition they seem to bring around a grand give or take a few hundred bucks. The mags are pricy tho if you can find them. Accurate as a son of a gun tho. Its the only 1911 pattern I have ever shot under a inch sandbagged. That was with 30 year old ammo that came with it. The trigger is the best I have ever seen on a 1911. I swear its about 2.5 lbs and has never followed thru. I am still undecided if I will keep it but it has been fun to own. Also I need forgivness as I bought a SF ww2 spec last week at the show. Couldnt talk down the owner of a 1918 gi spec down from 1150 so had to get something else. Guy wth 1918 said never refinished BUT markings were worn but finish looked to good over wear. Barrel was completly shot out, last 2 inchs had no groving left and looked like a muzzle loader

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
ser number

Oh by the way mine is ser 431Xnm. Barrel should be stamped with mk3 38 sl.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts