1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a Gold Cup Commander SN: CGC###.

Here is a Gold Cup Commander "Custom Edition" SN: ###GCC Made from '91 - '93.

This is from the Colt Custom Shop Catalog;

[This message has been edited by Frank Sottile (edited 06-18-2001).]

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, both the Slide & Frame are in that high polish blue. My "Photo" was done on a Scanner, and may not be as good as a true photo.

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
The frame on your Commander Gold Cup looks so 91. Are you sure it is an original reciever? Just look at the picture on the posted add. Wrong beavertail, no front serrations, no adjustable trigger. Are you pulling our leg?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can't tell you too much about the "Two-Tone" Commander, as I never did buy it (jpg is was eMailed to me), I did ask the dealer a few questions and this is what he told me. It does NOT have a NM Barrel, dose NOT have an Adjustable Trigger, does NOT have Adjustable Sigths, does NOT have the Serrated Front Strap, BUT the Slide is marked "Gold Cup Commander." And now you know why I did NOT buy it. (I wounder if he still has it?).

I think it was a "Special Order" not Lew Horton, maybe SRS? (the Disp. in Houston).

I do own the BLUE "Gold Cup Commander - Custom Edition" and it matches what the Custom Shop Catalog says. It is the real deal!

[This message has been edited by Frank Sottile (edited 06-17-2001).]

·
Registered
293 Posts
i didn't even know that there was such a thing, thats cooool maaan!!!!

russel the cop

------------------
CHANCE FAVORS THE PREPARED MIND....

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
We had a pair of the Bi-tone's a few years back, so they do exist. Most likely in many series of limited runs :)

·
Registered
204 Posts
I have two of the two-tone Gold Cup Commanders, serial numbers CGCXXX. They have fixed sights, no adjustable triggers. As I was looking for base guns to have reworked as custom carry pieces, did not really care for those add ons.

I would like to know more about these pistols as I have not been able to find out much information about them. As mentioned, they might be a special run. Can anybody enlighten me as to their history? How many in existence? Do they continue to manufacture them?

Thanks for the help.

------------------
Steve

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
CitrusDude,
It's all of those "ADD-ONS" that make it a Gold Cup.

Being you have 2 of the "Two-Tone" Gold Cup Commanders, what can you tell us about them? Do they have NM Barrels and Burshings or not? What is marked on the other side of the slide? And other then the "Slide Markings", what makes them Gold Cups? Are the Frames "Stainless Steel" or Hard Chromed?"

You can call SRS in Houston, TX as they were a special order for them.

------------------
Molon Labe!

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Nope since you have two...you need to e-mail me. I have something I'd like to discuss with you!

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

I Like The Shade Too!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Where to start. I've always liked the Commanders, as they just "feel" and shoot better for me than the full length GM. The first one I picked up as a base gun as mentioned before. Had heard the Gold Cups held together better than the standard models. Don't know if this applies to this model but hope so. Also liked having the Colt version of a two tone.

The frame is stainless, with a blued slide. Stainless barrel, marked Colt 45 Auto. Not National Match, and I do not think the original bushing is either. The ejection port side of the slide is marked "Combat Commander Model". I don't think anything about this model says Gold Cup except the Slide markings. That is why I was interested in what others that have more info. on them could tell me. I also have a Bright Stainless Commander Gold Cup National Match that just sits in the safe. Don't do the bullseye stuff anymore. Mostly IDPA these days.

I just sent my first one to Bar-Sto today. I had bought it used and had the usual done to it earlier: Videcki trigger, Brown grip safety, ambi safety, Novak three dot night sites, 30 lpi front strap, reliability package, carry bevel package. Wanted to upgrade the barrel as it did not shoot as good as the most recent one I picked up.

I bought the second one NIB with a serial number 16 away from the first one, and thought I would have it to pass on to my son when he gets into handguns. This one has also been to Novak's with everything the first had done, but also put in a 30 lpi MSH and had serrations added to the front of the slide. This barrel shoots fantastic when I do my part. No need to send to Bar-Sto just yet.

I will try to get some pictures of the second one, as I imagine Irv will have my first one for a couple of weeks. I've not posted pics before, so may take some time for me to figure out.

As to gyp-c's request, you do not have your e-mail info on your profile. Or were you just sharing your wit. I believe mine is there if you want to contact me direct. Not that I plan to part with these two. The NM I might consider.

------------------
Steve

[This message has been edited by CitrusDude (edited 06-18-2001).]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts