1911Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I've been doing some tinkering and came to the conclusion that Elliason sights are not crap but in fact slim and graceful. After checking for sight accuracy (which was well zeroed from the factory) I did the following:
- Took out the reatining pin and bent it so it would fit tighter.
- Placed a rubber insert between sight and slide to comtrol "bouncing".
- Secured screws with a drop of crazy glue as well as the windage blade. Any smear can be cleaned with a q-tip dipped in Acetone. Any cleaning needs to be done inmediately after applying glue. If done right the results are great with no signs of "glossy" glue mess.

Now the sight is set and firm, crazy glue still allows to reset the sights by just turning the screws with adequate force so the glue seal is broken, not that much.

Finally, is a Gold Cup a good candidate for CCW pistol? Yes, I replaced the recoil spring and shoots Golden Sabers like a dream. Any advisable modifications or additions? How about the "wide" trigger?

Thanks and enjoy this weekend!

·
Registered
529 Posts
I have been shooting my Gold Cup for about 25 years with no problems. My Commander is a touch smaller, but not a lot of difference.

·
Registered
293 Posts
i have a friend who has a 70 series gold cup in almost perfect condition, the only thing he did was have it throated (by his dad who is our armorer). the gun works great, and his ellison sight has never given trouble.

the only problem he has now is that he doesn't carry it much cause he doesn't want to scratch it. so he has a colt 1991A1 that his dad tricked out.

if it shoots good, (reliability being first and foremost) carry it if ya want. i conceal my colt all the time.

russel the cop

------------------
CHANCE FAVORS THE PREPARED MIND....

·
Registered
216 Posts
1. Have a reliable smith throat the barrel if it isn't already and do a function check. You'd be surprised what an experienced smith will notice that you do not.

2. Fire at least 150 rounds of the ammo that you intend to shoot through it when you get it back before considering it reliable. Any malfunctions at all and it should go back to the smith for a recheck.

After that, I would not be concerned about reliablity but it would be too heavy for everyday concealed carry ( most would agree I think)

PigPen

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,426 Posts
A buddy of mine shoots a Gold Cup in IPSC matches, and he's broken the sight pin five times in five years. There are ways to make the Elliason last, but it does seem that the mounting system is a definite weakness.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I occasionally use my Gold Cup for CCW. I replaced the rear sight with a Millett after the retaining pin broke. No problems since.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts