1911Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at buying a Series 70 Gold Cup National Match from a friend of a friend manufactured around 1975 and was wondering what its worth. It does have some miles on it and has also been customized some what with thumb rest grips, gold; barrel bushing, slide release and extractor also has the trigger and hammer jeweled.

What I am not sure about is that the Grip Safety appears to be pinned down so that the safety is always off. Was this done for competitions use?

Thanks, Tom

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Tom H said:
I was looking at buying a Series 70 Gold Cup National Match from a friend of a friend manufactured around 1975 and was wondering what its worth. It does have some miles on it and has also been customized some what with thumb rest grips, gold; barrel bushing, slide release and extractor also has the trigger and hammer jeweled.

What I am not sure about is that the Grip Safety appears to be pinned down so that the safety is always off. Was this done for competitions use?

Thanks, Tom
Unless it has had accuracy work, it's just another Series 70 pistol. Look in the shops in your area to estimate local Fair Market Value.

Deactivating the grip safety makes it illegal for use in NRA competition. See NRA Conventional Pistol Rules 3.3 for details.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Values are hard to estimate and tend to vary depending upon the region of the country and the time of year. Not being able to see the pistol makes it even more difficult since Colt's tend to vary so much from sample to sample. Based on what I would be willing to pay sight unseen, I would say that particular Colt is worth $500 or less. The mods, unless they are exactly what you want, will cost some money to reverse. I really am not fond of gold-colored parts on my 1911, especially on the extractor. I would look the pistol over very carefully to see if someone got a little Dremel-happy.

Grip safeties are pinned for a few different reasons, including some people having issues activating the safety consistently. I have seen the modification on both competition and carry pistols. It is also possible the grip safety has not been pinned, and that somethng is wrong.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
The pinned safety is an old timey thing often done to 'match' pistols, but I don't really know why. I suspect it was as much for the 'cool' factor as anything else. I know I never use the thumb safety on my bullseye gun, it might as well not be there. Maybe the pinned safety gave a more consistant grip in the hand, because it didn't move. I've seen some like this used in bullseye matches, I didn't even think about the technicality that they are illegal.

Anyway, the value is only questionable because of the modifications, nobody now can verify the quality of the work. At least without shooting it, and stripping it.

But assuming the quality is good, here in CA, the thing would more likely sell for closer to $1000 than $500. Makes a big difference whether you're a 'free-stater' or a Californian. Just the 70 frame/slide alone makes it worth more than $500 here.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.