1911Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a gold cup with the millet adjustable sights that shoots low I can't adjust the sights any more and at 25yards I'm still about 4 inches off and at 10 yards I'm still low both from a rested posistion. Any ideas how to fix this. The ammo is regular old gi ball.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Harley 45,
Sounds like your solution is a new front sight blade. The Millet sight sets higher on the frame than the Elliason. A higher front sight post should cure your problem.

------------------

·
2,953 Posts
I think a higher front sight is only going to make it shoot lower. I think he needs a lower front sight.

If it is that much off, I would have someone check the barrel lockup before I changed the front sight. I would also have someone else shoot it just to be sure it isn't something that you are doing.

Just curious, was the Millet sight recently installed and if so, was it shooting that low before the sight was installed?

·
2,953 Posts
Maybe this is a dumb question (but I have run into this before), you are RAISING the rear sight to raise POI (point of impact)? If you are turning the adjuster clockwise, then you are adjusting the sight to shoot lower.

·
Registered
474 Posts
James P,
Given that you didn't change sights, raising the rear sight would indeed raise the point of impact. Wouldn't that sight relationship change if you installed a completely different sight? I know that Bomar offers a taller front sight blade to go with their rear sight.

What you are saying does make sense though.

------------------

[This message has been edited by oldcolt (edited 10-08-2001).]

·
2,953 Posts
Oldcolt,

If you raise the front sight only, that means the gun will have to be held so that rear is raised up for the sights to align. If you hold the rear of the gun higher in relation to the front, the gun is pointing lower, which would cause the bullet to hit lower yet.

Edit: The reason that these guys sell a taller front sight to go with the rears is that the adjustable sights tend to sit higher than the standard fixed. If you were to install a higher rear adjustable with the standard front, the gun will have to be held so that the front sight is higher than normal to line up with the higher rear. This normally means higher point of impact.

[This message has been edited by James P (edited 10-08-2001).]

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Hi Harley,
If your rear sight is adjusted all the way up and you still shoot low,the front sight needs needs to be lowered. You can either install a shorter one or, better still if that sight isn't already really short, just file down the existing sight. I'd mark it first to wherever you figure it should be, put it in a padded vice and have at it with a fine file...front to back only. DO NOT file across the sight left to right or you will loosen it and it'll eventually come off. I'm assuming it's a staked sight and not dovetailed.

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
Hello harley45,
Before you go to filing on your front sight you should know how much you want to take off. Here is how to figure how much front sight you need to remove. Everything needs to be figured in inches.
If you are shooting at 25 yards figure how low your bullet impact is times your sight radius and divide this into 900.
Here is an example 6inches low with a 6inch sight radius= 6x6=36 divided into 900=25 this means you would have to remove .025 off your front sight to correct your problem. Hope this helps.
Regards, Bob Hunter www.huntercustoms.com

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
Good tip Bob, thanks, Pete

·
Registered
381 Posts
Hello Hunter Customs,

Been trying to figure out your formula but still a little confused. In your example you used 6 inch sight radius and 6 inches low. 6*6=36 divided into 900 = 25 or .025. Using the formula with 6 inch sight radius, 3 inches low 6 * 3 = 18 divided into 900 = 50 or .050. Does this mean you'd remove twice as much sight height to move the impact point only 1/2 the distance 3" vs 6" low?

------------------
There are 1911's and those that wish they were

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
First I want to apologize to everyone for not paying closer attention to what I'm typing.
Thank you 4D5 for bringing this to my attention.
The formula should read divide by 900 instead of into 900.
6x6=36 divided by 900=.04 or if you take it to the thousands it would be 40 thousands that would need to be removed.
Again my apology to everyone and I hope this helps.
Regards, Bob Hunter www.huntercustoms.com

1 - 18 of 18 Posts