1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

My Father in Law came into town for the holidays and brought a Colt Series 80 Gold Cup with him. He got this gun from a friend and has the original box with it. He wanted me to show him how to field strip it, clean it, etc. When I was taking it apart, I noticed some things I am not familiar with about this model.

The gun is a stainless model. It has the collet bushing, black rubber with silver medallion grips.

The first thing I noticed was that it has an extended slide stop/ release lever. Was that an original part?

Second thing is when I removed the barrel, the link pin fell out. Is that normal on these? I have never had a 1911 that the link pin was not press fit into the link/ barrel.

The gun itself looks like it has never been messed with or shot much. Wear is minimal on the normal areas that would show wear. Oh yeah, he got it for $500…pretty damn good deal (it was part of a deal that had a near mint 6" blued Colt Python included for another $500. I already inherited the Python ;))

Any help on those two questions would be appreciated. Any other info is also welcome. Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,460 Posts
"The first thing I noticed was that it has an extended slide stop/ release lever. Was that an original part?" No.

On the BBl link pin, that is not normal. Check that the hole is round, if it's not sloppy you should be OK because the pin is captive in the frame.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Buy a factory slide stop for it and have the barrel link pin staked to the barrel like it is supposed to be. Shoot and enjoy...Barrel link pin falling out?? Sounds like an Springfield..:D

·
Registered
23,229 Posts
For $500 that is a super deal. I have a 1988 I bought a few years ago for $750 virtually new in box. I think that was the last year for the collet bushing, and since Colt did not come out with SS till about 1984 that gives you a window of several years when it was made. The slide stop is easy to change out and you could get the correct part from Colt, Midway, Brownells, etc. if you want to. As mentioned above the barrel link pin is held captive so not a big deal and you may want to check for barrel/slide lockup before you fix the link pin to the barrel.

On my 1988 (according to a phone call to Colt), I did remove the wrap around grips and replace them with some wood ones from the old Ajax Co. Colt was still grooving the front of the frame back then, although the wrap around grips were made by Pachmayr with the Colt meds in them. Anyway, a picture.

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
For $500 that is a super deal. I have a 1988 I bought a few years ago for $750 virtually new in box. I think that was the last year for the collet bushing, and since Colt did not come out with SS till about 1984 that gives you a window of several years when it was made. The slide stop is easy to change out and you could get the correct part from Colt, Midway, Brownells, etc. if you want to. As mentioned above the barrel link pin is held captive so not a big deal and you may want to check for barrel/slide lockup before you fix the link pin to the barrel.

On my 1988 (according to a phone call to Colt), I did remove the wrap around grips and replace them with some wood ones from the old Ajax Co. Colt was still grooving the front of the frame back then, although the wrap around grips were made by Pachmayr with the Colt meds in them. Anyway, a picture.

I love this gun, @dakota1911. Very nice pic.

OP, since the slide stop isn't original, if you are going to replace it, I'd suggest the Wilson bulletproof one be on your list to look at. It is fully machined and very high quality and I have found I really prefer the ledge shape on it for quick reloads. Additionally, if your dad isn't familiar with field stripping the 1911, it has a notch on it to allow you to push it straight in as opposed to risking the dreaded "idiot mark" on the frame, which is easy to do as a 1911 newbie.

(Before I get blasted, the Colt original part is forged as well, and there is nothing wrong with it either. But if you don't have the original one it might be worth giving the Wilson one a look.)

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all for the replies. As far as how the 1911 works/ strips, I'm up on that. I have a bakers dozen, both my duty and ccw are 1911's and I've probably sold almost that many over the years.

I was just curious on the two mentioned items.

I doubt I'll change anything out on it for now (not mine...yet).

Yes he got the gold cup and python for $1000 total. Hard to believe right?

In any case, I appreciate the info fellas.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts