1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just picked up my first 'modern' Colt, manufactured in 1975. It is in 98% condition: its only flaw is a classic Idiot Mark. The trigger breaks at 3#. No complaints there ... but I could do without the 1/4 inch of creep. I suppose that I could get used to it ... it is almost like a 2 stage trigger ... but I am used to the absolutely crisp break on my Smith target revolvers. How much target work can I have done without effecting the historical value of this classic piece?
Thanx for your input.
Buster342

·
Premium Member
4,460 Posts
I would guess someone already did a bad trigger job. Those guns came with a crisp trigger from the factory. Did you check to see if the gun still has the original sear? The original sear is tool steel and has a tiny hole near the top of the sear nose for the depressor spring. In any case remove the steel trigger, sear, depressor and depressor spring, save them and have your Gunsmith replace with new parts.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
What Bluetooth said, or just replace the firing group parts and trigger for a more standard trigger pull.

The "historical value" is whatever it means to you. It's not as though NM Series 70 Mark IV guns are rare, geesh, I have one. Fix it to be the way you want it to be!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanx Blue and Saw ...

I appreciate your advice. I think I will put her back into polished standard condition.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Buster342: I do not know a lot about the Colt 1911 but are you talking about the '1/4 inch of creep' that is what I shall call as the 'take up' ?

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
one important thing Bluetooth

When you say just replace the parts. There are a few very important diagnostic tests/fitting operations that come with a new sear/hammer assembly. The thumb safety (if the lobe is long enough) must be refit to arrest the sear and keep the part from shifting. Too short, and the thumb safety must be replaced with a new one with fitting room on the arrest surface. A bench test must be conducted on the thumb safety. This is called the "audible click test" which shows a failure of the thumb safety when noise is heard. The disconnector weight, relative sear spring bend must be set, with concerns of the grip safety spring being proper. The gun should be checked next for "hammer follow thru" and disconnect operation. Not a drop in part, by no means. But there are steps that must be taken when installing a sear/hammer. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts