1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a new Trophy Match yesterday. It was quite a bit different than a Trophy Match I owned a couple of years ago. That gun was not particularly accurate, and overall fitting on it was pretty poor. My new one has an extremely tight slide to frame fit, spade type beavertail (Series 80), round top slide fitted with Bomar rear and dovetailed front, wide 3 hole adjustable trigger, good trigger pull, and came with hex head wrenches, bushing wrench, extra recoil spring, two mags, and exellent looking test target. Only bummer was the rubber wraparound grips. Hopefully will get it out to the range this week.

[This message has been edited by col132 (edited 05-02-2001).]

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
I am very confident that all your grievances will be moot on the line. Thats one of the best you got in Colts arsenal. I am considering a Trophy S/S shooter myself. Keep us posted on your Trophys line performance, please.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I just received my Gold Cup Trophy on May 1 and it has all the features described by col132 except for the Bomar rear sight and adjustable front sight. Mine has Elliason rear and non- adjustable front blade.I have been shooting it now for two days to break it in. So far have fired it 350 rounds without a MF. Mine has one 7 round mag and one 8 round. It came with the light recoil spring installed but I exchanged it for the heavier spring which also came with it as I shoot hardball handloads with 6.5 gr. of Unique. I wish it had the trigger of my old 1958 National March but will just learn to live with this one. It's not bad as it is
and I'm sure it will get better after the
break-in period. Should have 1K through it by the week end.

Gunhamr

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
John, my gun was test fired on April 21st, so I'm sure it is really new new production. I am curious as to the configuation of yours. Like I stated in my post, my gun has a round top slide, and does not have the grooved/serrated rib like on the older Gold Cups. When I ditched the hoaky rubber grips today I also noticed that there were no serrations on the grip strap as with the older guns. I was really surpised to find the dovetailed front sight on my gun. I'm not that familiar with the Bomar sights on 45's, but I owned one years ago that a retired ordnance officer put on a standard 45 for me, and it stuck out quit a bit to the rear, enough to make it a hassle to thumb cock the hammer. On my new TM the slide has been milled to allow the rear of the sight to sit into the slide, still allowing enough clearance to cock the delta type hammer. Curious since it appears that both of these guns are recent manufacture. (Also, no front cocking serrations on the front of my slide).

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
col132, if your Trophy did have front slide serrations. I would get in my grave now and begin rolling. Enough with the comparisons to others. Colt needs to be the one compared too. Their back in my mind, and it seems they never left.

·
Registered
271 Posts
The test target that came with my Trophy did not have a date. It is Model 05870CS which on the www.1911 Org page shows that the only
extra feature it had was accurizing and test target included. I have fired 200 more rds. this morning which brings me to 550 total with NO MF. I have used the two original mags; two Wilson-Rogers and two Shooting Star. I load them all and then do not shoot them in any particular order. NO MFs. All my loads are handloads with 6.5 gr. Unique.
So far I have shot 250 230 gr.RNFMJ, 200 230 gr. hard cast RN and 100 230 gr. truncated cone hard cast. After I get through with this 1K break-in, I will remove the firing pin safety feature and that should improve the trigger pull. I live alone so the safety
is no problem. All guns are locked in safe except when I am using them. Hope yours shoots as well as mine!

gunhamr

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Redzone, if you've kept up with Colt lately they're beggining to look like S&W and the "gun of the month" club of a few years back. OK, bad comparison comparing anyone to S&W right now. I enjoy keeping track of these little manufacturing differences by my favorite gun company, If myself and others didn't keep up on stuff like this, then we wouldn't have known to snatch up the first XS models when we saw them two years ago and they were $200 cheaper than they are now. I also missed your point on the front slide serrations. This was never mentioned. I did mention the serrations that Colt used to place on the front "grip strap" for many years on the Gold Cup and mine does not have that and I always felt that was a nice touch on an expensive gun. But I still appreciate guys who are still adamant about Colts (young guys I work with only know one word-Glock)

Sorry James P, nothing original that comes off my guns ever leaves my basement. (just in case).

John, my model number is 05070X. Who knows? That's exactly what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
271 Posts
col132, there is a 5070CS listed under the Gold Cup but it is stainless steel. Your number is not even on the list. Must be
something really new. They don't show the Bomar sight as an option. Who knows, you may have a "one of a kind."

I am now up to 700 rounds without a MF!!!!
Hope to finish 1K tomorrow but that much shooting is kinda tiring on an old man. I'll
soon be 80 if I live a little longer.

Some folks tell me I ought to be sitting under a shade tree playing checkers with
another old geezer but I'll be shooting as long as I can pull a trigger. Not nearly as accurate as I once was but still love to try.

------------------
John

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, another 32 years and I'll be nearing that 80 mark. I just hope I'm still able to put 700 rounds through my guns, and that Colt is still rolling them off the assembly line.

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
Well i'll be 80 in 48yrs. and more than likely dead. Good job on the continued shooting John Foster. I sold a S/S Trophy aways back. And i've heard the new version does'nt have the serrated flat topslide. Damn I messed up again. And must find an original flattop Trophy. Oh well as far as Gold Cups go I still got my 68 National Match. Which I would be nuts to use for any sort of carry. The trigger is a think about it variety. Know what I mean, thanks guys.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Guys, no mystery - their are two Gold Cup models being produced currently.

- O5070X is the new stainless Gold Cup - which has the new features - round top slide, BoMars, Videki trigger. More of a carry/combat GC. List price is $1116.00

- O5070CS is the "Classic" Gold Cup, just like the original with Ellison sights, blue only, but with Videki trigger in place of the original "heavy" steel trigger. List price is $1050.00

Not a gun of the month - a choice between the original classic target pistol and a more "combat custom" style Gold Cup. Choice is good!

Warmly, Col. Colt

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
I think its a mistake for Colt to make the change on the stainless model. The stainless is the treasured one. The blue has always been considered a contemporary 1911. But in this case it does'nt hold. As the Gold Cup is in a different realm. Considered the accuracy king of yesterday. And still in the competition. And as far as stainless it is the higher price = go to for Colt performance. I wish Colt had changed the blue model instead. Thanks Col.Colt

·
Registered
271 Posts
Took me four days but I finally got that 1K
rounds through my Gold Cup Trophy.

My only comment is; it's hard to improve on perfection. If it ain't a Colt, it's a copy.

------------------
John

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
I'm in then, I am going to buy one of the new stainless Trophys. And probably take me awhile to get 1000 through it. But I like the way it shot without a flaw. John Foster thanks for the 1000 round test/post.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
John, if you haven't already, how about posting a notice of your satisfaction under "Range Reports" so those beknighted souls that don't venture here to the Colt forum can hear about it! Positive feedback is always a Good Thing. And I think the Stainless mods make sense, Redzone - most people would rather carry stainless than blue for finish durability reasons.

Warmly, Col. Colt

[This message has been edited by Col. Colt (edited 05-06-2001).]

·
Banned
1,082 Posts
Like I said in an earlier post. Why the heck carry a Gold Cup? Is'nt the intended purpose of the gun at all. They are giving in to versatility buyers. And turning off some of us with this crap. Thanks Col. Colt, if it is'nt a Colt I won't buy it!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Saw a blued Gold Cup Trophy at the local dealer last Saturday. What is the difference between these and the old Gold Cups with the collet bushings? I had a couple of those and had nothing but trouble so I haven't bothered with Colt since. The new one looked very nice and the price seemed good at $839. Looking for opinions for a friend who is a new shooter and is interested in this gun. THANKS

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Colts of today are much better guns than Colts produced during the 70's and 80's. Colt has a new, modern plant - and the guns rival the quality of the original pre-WWI 1911s regarding fit, with superior metallurgy.

As regards the current models of Gold Cup - get the new stainless with the factory BoMars and Videki trigger - we have sold several and they are awesome! The collet bushing has been gone for a long time now - it generally worked well, but could cause problems if not fitted properly. The solid bushing is all Colt has used for years now.

Many of us think the best days of the Colt 1911 are right now! I don't think you will be disapointed in a new Gold Cup.

Warmly, Col. Colt

"Beware of Counterfeits and Patent Infringements"

·
Registered
106 Posts
Redzone said:
Like I said in an earlier post. Why the heck carry a Gold Cup? Is'nt the intended purpose of the gun at all.
Redzone, please excuse this newbie question. Why isn't the Gold cup intended to be carried? Is it because of the adjustable sights (i.e. carry guns should not have adj sights)?

Here's my situation. First time 1911-buyer. I have been shooting a borrowed SA 1911 series-70 type. Like it. Fixed sights. Has a videcki trigger installed. I am not all that knowledgeable (yet) about tinkering around and replacing this and that to make the gun work right. So, I am considering something fairly basic to "grow up on." Currently, my searches have turned up two guns that I like. A local shop has a Gold Cup Trophy, blue, NIB for $800. Seems like a sweet deal. Also found a SS Kimber Classic, their basic model for $739. The Kimber has the cleanest, sweetest trigger I have ever pulled. Fixed sights and dehorned all around.

What do I want to do with the gun? To start off with, learn everything I can about being safe! Then, defensive pistol classes. Some day, maybe carry. Big decision that I have not yet made.

Your thoughts on these choices and on the Gold Cup as a versatile piece?

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts