1911Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For .45ACP used in a SA MC Operator 5" 1911, whadaya's think about the three rounds? Is one of them far above and beyond the others or are they generically very similar in historical performance?

Tnx!!

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I'd go with the Ranger T or Gold Dots as my first choice, with the GS as a slightly distant second choice, unless you can find them in the bonded version.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I just think...

...it doesnt matter much. Modern hollow points are all very good. I tend to carry what i can find cheap. One dealer i know has very good deals on defensive ammo sometimes. I presently have Hydroshocks, the new HST, Ranger T, and Gold Dots here. I think any of them will do the job. In the kimber i have on...i have 230gr +p hydroshocks loaded. The last of that box...

·
Registered
552 Posts
Any of the three would be a good choice. See which one works best in your gun. I prefer Corbon DPX however.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
I prefer the Gold Dots. The have low muzzle flash. I can easily find them. I would like to try the Rangers, but they are difficult for me to find. I've had some problems with muzzle flash from the Golden Sabers and they are notorious for shedding their jackets unless you can find the bonded version.

·
Registered
234 Posts
dougxd said:
For .45ACP used in a SA MC Operator 5" 1911, whadaya's think about the three rounds? Is one of them far above and beyond the others or are they generically very similar in historical performance?

Tnx!!
All three are good, modern choices. Federal's new HST is also supposed to be a good performer and is said to be a considerable step forward from the HydraShok bullet design which had got to be at least a 15 year old design. I know it's cliche, but the most important issue is which one runs in YOUR gun. And then, my next question is ,"Can I easily get more?"

·
Registered
231 Posts
As with everyone elses' responses, I believe that all modern hollow points should perform nearly the same in defensive situations as far muzzle flash, consistancy, and terminal performance. However, the nose of the bullet itself may vary slighty from manufacturer to manufactuer. For example, Speer Gold Dots have a massive cavity compared to say a Federal Hydrashok. I initially had some feeding problems with the Gold Dots which went away after smoothing out and polishing my feed ramp. My suggesting is that you try many of each brand, and be sure that the one you choose is one that functions properly in your gun.

·
Registered
877 Posts
They're all good.

I think putting a hundred or so of each through your own gun is a good idea.

1. Eliminate any that are not 100% reliable with your gun and magazines.
2. Of the remaining, choose the one that is most accurate in your gun.
3. Then put another hundred or so of the first choice through your gun with your magazines to make sure it functions 100%.
4. Then stick with it until you have a good reason to change.

Oh, I forgot to add that I went with 230gr Gold Dots (both Speer and Georgia Arms loads) because they are noticeably more accurate in my guns. Honrady 230gr +P XTPs are about the same. [added 06-OCT-05]

·
Registered
323 Posts
All good, but I favor the Gold dot.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Black_Talon said:
I'd go with the Ranger T or Gold Dots as my first choice, with the GS as a slightly distant second choice, unless you can find them in the bonded version.
Agreed about the GS. Bonded is the only way to go there. Depending on your weapon, sometimes the GS might have feed problems. I won't say my Springfield doesn't like the GS but I've have better success with the other two. I usually carry Gold Dot 200+p and alternate those with the Rangers.

·
Registered
197 Posts
There seems to be an echo.....

Ditto on what most have said about Ranger Ts and Gold Dots. GS core/jacket seems to be a problem on non bonded versions....

I've also seen some tests where the +P Rangers have had a similar problem in 5" guns. It appears to me that they may be going too fast out of a full size weapon (at typical ranges). They are probably OK in shorter pistols.

Consequently, I use RA45T in a Gold Cup and RA45TP in a 4" Kimber.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
I did a ******* test with phone books and rib racks on all 3 of the above rounds... I found that the Golden Sabers had the bests consistent mushroom and the best overall penetration... Thus I carry only the sabers.... They all performed well during the testing, and remember it is pretty informal and unscientific, however the sabers performed the best.

This was enough for me... :biglaugh:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.