1911Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what year did colt use the gold emblem in their grips. My Government model has such grips and a few others i've seen do not. Am i correct in thinking that they were used for only one year. TIA

· Registered
5,165 Posts
??????
Colt has used Gold grip medallions on their guns for many years.

The Gold Medallion first appeared on the 1955 Colt Python.
Up until the mid-1960's the ONLY gun to have Gold medallions was the Python, everything else had Silver.

Sometime in the mid-1960's Gold started being used on other models, and by the mid-1970's Silver had pretty well disappeared.

The 1911 has used Gold medallions since at least the 1960's, and Gold has been used on checkered grips, the late 1960's sandblasted walnut grips, and the rubber Pachmayr grips.

Take a look at old Colt catalogs and on Ebay. You'll see PLENTY of 1911 Colt grips of all types with Gold medallions.

· Registered
5,165 Posts
There WERE some anniversary Colt grip medallions.

The most common were the ones that had the Colt Pony and a "150" on them.
This was for Colt's 150th year in business.

The standard Gold Colt medallion has the Colt Pony standing on the top of the world.
These have been used on all Colt guns from the 1960's, and were used on the Python from 1955.

· Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,396 Posts
I was looking at old Colt catalogs for a guy, who wanted to know which grips came on his Commander. In the '71, '72, and '74 catalogs, only the Gold Cup had checkered grips with "gold" medallions. The lesser models appeared to have "silver" medallions, in smooth grips on blued models, and sandblasted on nickeled ones.

· Registered
5,165 Posts
I had several of the early 1970's Colt 1911's.

The first really brand new Colt I ever owned, I bought for myself for Christmas, 1971.
It was a blued Colt Combat Commander with sandblasted grips with Gold medallions.

I seem to remember the satin nickel Combat Commanders also having Gold medallions with sandblasted grips.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.