1911Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to buy a Gold Match II in 9MM, Has anyone had any experience with the Gold Match in 9MM. Any issue and what type of ammo will it shoot reliably.
I have the Gold Match II in 45Cal and i like it very much, but need to know about the 9MM model
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have it (in SS) and it is my 1st 1911. I LOVE IT!

3000+ rounds through it in USPSA matches and hundreds of draw and re-holster through a Kaydex holster, it still looks brand new. I have to admit that I had had an extraction problem with the factory extractor in the beginning, which costed me a few matches. I changed the factory extractor to the pro series from Brazos but still had some inconsistency. Per advice from my fellow shooter, I installed an aftec and since then I have had no issue at all. I know some Kimber experts say that the factory extractor is just fine wit a right adjustment but I just did not want to deal with the adjustment or loss any more stages due to the malfunction. The malfunction is the matches is not fun at all...

The extractor in the 9mm models appears to be the weakest link (search) but I believe as long as you take care of the extractor (tension and cleanliness), it should shoot with any decent ammo.

For the break-in, I used the 115gr Magtech, which is, imho, a great ammo. Pretty clean and reliable. I use the 147gr ammo from Atlanta Arms and Ammo in the matches and it has been super reliable.

Other changes that I have done to my GM2 internally are a sear and sear spring (lighter) from C&S. My trigger pull is approx 3.2lbs. The factory trigger pull was approx 4.1lbs

There was a wee creep right outta box. I polished the trigger bow and the creep disappeared.

The sights were a bit off outta box but after several clicks on the rear sight, it was spot on.

The factory mag could be "hit or miss" (search). I use TrippCobra 10rnders.

It is a sweet gun. I know you will enjoy it along with your 45acp!!

Here is what it looked like when it was pretty much brand new and it still looks the same.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
steel, I have owned more than one of the similar Kimber 9MM Target IIs, and another in .38 Super. No ammo issues at all. They just worked reliably with any quality ammo. I've had very good luck with Kimber. Much better luck that with some other "name" brands of 1911 at similar prices...

·
Registered
177 Posts
I too have had extractor problems with my Target II 9mm as well as two other friends of mine with theirs. I replaced the factory "soft" extractor with a Nowlin and have had no other issues. I love my Kimber 9mm, it is a very accurate!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.