1911Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trophy Match vs Gold Match II

I am new to this forum and even newer to the “World of 1911’s”. I have shot a couple of borrowed .45’s in bowling pin matches and I am now looking into purchasing my own. I think I have narrowed it down to either a Springfield Trophy Match or a Kimber Gold Match. I have searched this forum and found some older posts pertaining to the two pistols. So at the risk of being redundant I would like to post this one more time before I plop down cash somewhere. If it helps, I will most likely be shooting bowling pins / plates at first and general bulls-eye shooting.

I would like to know what is good and bad about each, I am sitting right in the middle and looking for something to sway me one way or the other. You folks are all more experienced than I and I would guess that someone out here has some info that might help point me in one direction or the other.

Thanks for your time and all opinions are welcome.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have the TM longslide. Great gun, accurate as hell.
No problems feeding it my hand rolled 200gr LSWC's.
Have had absolutely no problems in the 2 years + that I've owned the gun. Lifetime warranty is there if I ever need it.
Had to wait about 12 weeks for delivery, though. At the time they were hard to find around here, anyway.

No experience with Kimber's, so I can't comment on them.
Dave

·
Registered
31 Posts
Popcorn........check.

Soda.............check.

Let the games begin.

If you're ONLY going to use the gun in bowling pin shoots, I suggest something cheaper.

·
Premium Member
9,197 Posts
I hear ya, jethead! Both are nice pistols and comparably the same. I had Gold Match. I was a nice pistol. I sold it didn't really do much for me. I bought a Trophy Match with the proceeds. It is a great gun and very accurate. But then so was the Gold Match

I would base the buy on price/availability. Check the auction sites. The Trophy Match guns, especially blued models, are going at very reasonable prices. Very reasonable, new and used. Check gunbroker.com. With the Kimbers you will pay a little more for a used Gold Match and you have to deal with the Series I/Series II issue depending on where your jury has deliberated on that particular issue.

The Trophy Match guns have checkered front straps the GM's don't. The debate on the checkering courseness (25 vs. 30 lpi) is a not issue, IMHO. You will adapt readily and like it, I think.

The front strap to trigger guard blend on the Trophy Match gun is a nice shape and comparable to the Gold Match. I prefer the TM shape, it also indexes and settles the gun more consistantly for me.

The front strap on the Gold Match guns are smooth and more rounded. The less rounded front strap of the SA pistols indexes better for me and keeps the gun from "acting" up too much during recoil.

The grip safety configuration on both are comparably shaped.

The factory triggers on both were smooth and not gritty. The TM did have a little roll after sear movement started but was very smooth. But the latest triggers I felt on Kimber pistols leave much more to be desired.T

The blued Gold Match guns are nicely finished. Trophy Match guns are nicely done also but not blended as well as the Kimber Gold Match for those whose priorities are aesthetics.

Knowing what I know about both I would base the buy on price and knowing if the piece is a sound buy. Wait long enough on a TM and you'll get one very reasonable. Wait on the Kimber and you may do the same. Right now there is a used with a bid (gunbroker.com) of only $500. Series I. I would jump on it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info...and FYI

My intent was to request information on these two specific weapons from someone who may own one or both of them. Not start a flame war worthy of popcorn and soda. If that is the result of this message I apologize.

99% of the people on this forum have more experience than I in the .45 pistol arena. To have access to that amount of experience prior to making a purchase is tremendously beneficial. The info posted already has been of some assistance, (thanks).

I guess I should also have mentioned that bowling pins is where I plan to start, moving up from there. I am looking for something that will move up the competition ladder with me and not need much done to it to move from skill level to skill level.

Thanks to those that have replied so far. It is greatly appreciated

-Drew

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
Hello Indy_Drew,
First I do not own both, but I do have two Kimber Gold Match pre series II that I like alot. I have seen and shot the Springfield Trophy Match. At this time if I were to buy new I would go with the Springfield as I don't care for their new series II safety and the Trophy Match I shot seemed much better in accuracy and trigger, two features closely related. If you get a chance handle both. Good shooting to you.:)

·
Administrator
76,559 Posts
Indy,

Welcome to the forum. Please do not post duplicate topics, as it eats up space and bandwidth. Thanks!

·
Registered
550 Posts
indy,
check out the springfield mil spec. it sounds like it will fit your needs and is under 600.00. my next 1911 is a gold match though:D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts