1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the range today and took an old bf vest out there that needed to be destroyed. I figured the vest would stop it, but I didn't expect to find what I did.

I see all these GS bullets that have all mushroomed outward so beautifully, but when I dug the few I shot out of the vest, everyone of them had caved in. The front of the bullet was wider and flatter across than originally, but definately nowhere close to the pics I see posted on here. Instead of mushrooming OUT, it mushroomed in.

What would cause this?

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I could have sworn I and another member had already posted on this.

And pics would be nice.......

Hmmm...Maybe I can explain it a little better. On the GS bullet I recovered, the area at the nose of the bullet that has the little grooves in it, I assume to help with expansion, folded inward instead of outward. The nose of the bullet expanded no more than what one would expect from shooting ball ammo.

G

·
Pictures please.

It is not uncommon for a hollow point to not expand when the hollow cavity is filled (gets packed) with material such as drywall, wood etc. Once it is packed it is basically a round nose bullet.

I'm guessing the cavity on the bullets you fired were filled with the vest matrix making them the same as a round nose bullet.

What was the vest hanging on for a backstop?

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't have any pictures of it, nor did I think to keep any of the rounds I dug out to take pictures with.

The vest was hung over the wooden frame that you pin the targets on. Half of the vest was on the back, and the other half was in front.

If you look at the GS bullets, you will see that the lines on the bullet that help make the "fingers" upon mushrooming are not straight. They spiral just a bit. The end of the round collapsed in the direction of the spiral and flattened out. There was a little hole left in the bullet left over from the hollow point and I couldn't see anything inside of there.

I guess I will have to take pictures next time or learn to be more descriptive.:dope:

·
Registered
114 Posts
I would highly suspect that it is all related to the vest itself and not the round. First, when shooting a ballistic resisant vest to get the proper results as if it were being worn it needs to be placed on gelatin that is body similar. The hanging it over a frame greatly changes the true impact of the vest and the results. Also I suspect that the kelvar itself effected the expanding of the GS round in a negative way and why it didn't mushroom. In other words the vest did part of what it was designed to do. I could of course be wrong, but in my LEO days we shot many, many vest in testing.

·
Premium Member
15,298 Posts
cobra04 said:
I could have sworn I and another member had already posted on this.
Sort of. :biglaugh: You have 2 identical threads going, both with responses. You might want to edit and kill one of the threads so you get responses in one thread only.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Your right I sure do!:rofl: LOL...I must have double posted somehow and didn't realize it. I thought maybe I or the other guy might have said something wrong and the posts had gotten deleted.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts