1911Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the range today and took an old bf vest out there that needed to be destroyed. I figured the vest would stop it, but I didn't expect to find what I did.

I see all these GS bullets that have all mushroomed outward so beautifully, but when I dug the few I shot out of the vest, everyone of them had caved in. The front of the bullet was wider and flatter across than originally, but definately nowhere close to the pics I see posted on here. Instead of mushrooming OUT, it mushroomed in.

What would cause this?

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have no idea, really, but here's a guess...

The vest was collapsing inward, somewhat, which means it was sort of surrounding the bullet in a bowl/cone-shaped manner, like when you press a finger onto your pillow. Since it's a bullet-proof vest, the bullet has nowhere to go except where the vest will let it go...into a cone shaped hole. This collapses the nose before it squashes it.

Like I said, no evidence...just a guess.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is the only thing I could come up with.

I figured that since it wasn't something hard like bone or a combo of flesh and bone that that is why it did that.

I have a spare yellow, thick heavy plate that I will take in another old vest the next time I go out. It fits inside the vest over the chest area, called a K??(some number) insert. It feels like it is pretty stout, so we will see how it chooses to flatten out against that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts