1911Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Surprise, surprise. At lunch today I paid in full to lay away an XD45 with a 5” barrel. California limits us to one handgun purchase per month, so I won’t be able to complete the paperwork until the end of this month, but at least it’s paid for and will be there at the store at the end of the month; otherwise you never know what’s going to be in stock or out of stock.

I had visited the store just to take a first look at the Ruger .45’s (P90 and P345) and to revisit the Kimber Custom II and Springfield GI. The Kimber felt “high quality,” the Ruger felt “low quality” (although I’ve heard nothing but good things about Ruger). The GI is, well, a GI, and I'm thinking the Mil-Spec might be better...when I get around to a Government.

Finally I walked to the last display case where the S&W M&P’s and Glocks and XD’s are housed (the “Tupperware” aisle). I don’t think I have ever handled an XD before – although it has a great reputation, they didn’t even exist the last time I went gun shopping and to me they are still an unproven, unknown quantity.

Anyway, as soon as I picked it up, I knew I had to get one. It reminds me a lot of the 1911 – except that it is full size but weighs more like a lightweight Commander than a classic all-iron 1911.

I guess the good reviews and forums did influence my reaction, since almost all of them seem to shoot well out of the box, while 1911’s seem prone to various “hiccups” or need “pistol smithing.” It didn’t hurt to rack the slide and see a well-polished feed ramp in the XD. Trigger pull felt good, less “stagey” than my friend's Glock30 but on the other hand harder to predict the break – but that’s just a preliminary first impression, I’ll have to get it and shoot it to find out more.

So looks like this is my “1911” for now. Hey, it takes a .45; it has a full 5” barrel; and it reminds me of the 1911 in terms of grip thickness and angle. Plus I don’t have to add 3-dot sights, it comes with them, and the slide is machined for dove-tails front and rear. Doesn't hurt that it costs less than a Mil-Spec, much less than a Kimber Custom, much much less than a S&W 1911 or Sig 911, and comes with more accessories.

Not finished as well as the Glock, imho – although this has the current Melonite finish, it doesn’t look as good as the Glock’s, and there is something very appealing to me about the squared off lines of the Glock. On the other hand I like the metal guide rod, the site dovetails ready for an easy site upgrade should I desire one, the rifled barrel with full case support, and the grip safety on the XD (the grip safety is very appealing since it adds a layer of safety during holstering, provided you keep your hand off the safety while holstering).

I’ve come around from believing that Glocks (and similarly set up guns like the XD) are unsafe due to the lack of a slide safety – in fact I think that slide safeties “fake you out” into thinking a pistol is safe when the ONLY time (I think now) a pistol can be deemed “safe” is when you have a plastic dummy barrel in it – and even then you need to keep in mind the Basic Rules of gun handling (finger off the trigger, safe direction only). I also think, now, that while a classic 1911 and similar single action trigger has the cleanest break, there is something to be said for a trigger that has a little slack in it and provides tactical feedback that you are pressing on it and it will go “bang” in just a moment.

Hoo ah. My 1911 is Tupperware.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I just got my XD45c in FDE from Buds last week. Unbelievable how shoot-able and accurate this gun is. Compares nicely with my Kimber CDP and Springer LW Op in accuracy.

·
Registered
94 Posts
XD's are nice guns. Best in there class I think. They seem to fit in my hand just right. Accuracy is ok. Good choice. Might be a nice carry gun. Let us know how you like it after a day at the range.

·
Registered
52 Posts
ya ive had my xd 45 service 4", since feb 06, right when they started to be avialable and the m&p was out, and you will be quite happy how well the melonite finish holds up.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
I have XD45ACP Compact for about 6 months. Quality gun, the Melonite finish is top notch. Never have a single feed failure even with cheap 230gr FMJ ammo.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
When I bought mine I was looking for a 9mm of some kind because the ammo was cheaper. After shopping around I figured an XD in the hand was better than a 9mm Loaded 1911 in 5-9 months. I really like it, it shoots well...but some times I wonder what might have been with a 1911 (or my other secret love- the sig 226).

I'm still not very comfortable with the long pull/no external safty concept for carry. I'm still nervous every time I holster it with a round in the chamber... even when I make a concious effort to not touch the grip safety.I know its pretty "safe," but I'm still nervous about it to a point.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Xd Rocks

I have A Kimber compact cdp II and a XD45 both in 4 inch barrels. I love both guns, BUT FOR THE $$$$$$$$$$$$$ YOU CANT BEAT THE XD.Its a GREAT SHOOTER,you will be happy:rock:

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
I messed around with the XD a few weeks ago. IMO, its "THE" polymer .45.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If the recoil is "mild" on the XD45 Tactical, I think I'm going to try to put some +P rounds through it to see what they are like.

Begin rant:

I was pretty shocked by the price of so-called "self-defense" ammo this weekend. Speer Gold Dot for about $20 for a box of 20! That's a $1 a round! Only .20 cents for Blazer Brass!

It's a .45 for heavens sake! Why are ammunition manufacturers talking us into expanding bullets at $1 per round!

End rant.

That having been said, maybe I'll get some Black Hills 230 grain +P and see how it shoots...as soon as I get it! (Now I'm impatient again....)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Love the XD 45. But gave my Service model to my brother.

Now I have the Loaded in stainless.

Plastic is nice when it's cold for shooting/handling. :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
I messed around with the XD a few weeks ago. IMO, its "THE" polymer .45.
I see there is a HK virgin still left in the world.

Go play with an HK for a little while and you'll be changing your mind about which weapon is "the polymer .45."

But, the XD is a nicely made little toy...

·
Registered
17 Posts
i agree, HK's are awesome. but back to "quality (and fit) for the MONEY",..i am really impressed with my new XD .45 compact 4" dark earth.
i can honestly say i didn't like their feel at first but i kept an open mind, and they kept feeling better and better.
i am very glad i purchased this pistol. first time out is what got me. that turd colored sucker shoots! it's light, and it caries a bunch-o-ammo. and that whole human hand fit crap,...it's true.
BTW, if you get tired of waiting move to az.

AZMK

·
Registered
20 Posts
USP 45 shoots great.

I am as accurate with USP as my Loaded. Shoot nice groups with it.

Much prefer the 5in sight radius. Much easier for me to shoot well.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
I demo'd the USP 9 side by side at the range with an XD9 when I bought mine. I wasn't very impressed. In shooting it felt very simular IMO to the XD, but I didn't like the controls (especially the mag release) and at twice the price with simular performance I opted for the XD.

I still have mixed feelings about my XD9. It performs AWSOME, but when I think of what I could have bought at the time, some days I wish it was a Sig 226 (only reason I don't have one is that weird reset their triggers have), some days I wish I would have waited for a 9mm 1911 or taken the 9mm Para double stack they had in stock. Then there are the days I shoot a group the size of my fist with the XD and think "wow, this is a sweet gun"

1 - 16 of 16 Posts