1911Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all,

Well I think I might get an LDA 45 5" in stainless steel and was wondering if anyone can give comments on this pistol. I want to get it soon. I believe all Paras has that fancy new "POWER EXTRACTOR" and want to hear any comments on it's performance. Any problems??? Issues????

Also can you all tell me if any magazine will work OR do I have to buy Paras versiononly???

rimfire,22

·
Registered
319 Posts
My extractor broke when the pistol was two weeks old, and right at 100 rounds. It's in TN right now having the repair work done.

·
Banned
21 Posts
my extractor

i bought a LTC and the forward face of my extractor was hitting the case rim, so as was getting battered 2X as much as neccessary, i called george wedge, he was nice and understood the problem,,, and i believe he is sending me some rears of the 2 piece extractor so as i can fix it... i asked him to address this issue with this design, as the power extractor is "particular to them" so is not an easy swap to another type... overall i love my gun, but this issue needs to be addressed... if your gonna sell a gun with a 'propietary" extractor, that the average guy cant swap out with his choice of equipment, it should be right from the factory... other than that minor issue i think para guns are the most in spec factory guns i have seen, and i have seen and owned many, and in fact i plan on buying some more...so after all this... do i like the power extractor, yes i do, i looks like a good design, and para stands behind their product, it was just a little frustrating, not being able to swap it with my choice of extractor, however the rest of the pistol, is extremely well made and put together...

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
para4828:

Actually the PXT is easy to swap, and generally needs no adjustment whatsoever.

The problem is in getting the new one to swap in....

You're not likely to find one at a nearby gun shop.

I broke one - probably the result of an over-the-top reload - and Para (George Wedge) sent me a new one almost immediately. Dropped it in, so to speak, and was back on the air. Maybe 3000 rounds ago....

Personally I wish they were a little easier to get ahold of. Otherwise a non-problem.

(I have three PXT guns....)

Regards,

·
Registered
812 Posts
I have the LTC & CCW. Both with PXT. Both 100% reliable…. Enough said...

·
Banned
21 Posts
well in referance to swapping the extractor??? ofcoarse thats a no brainer brain dead operation, problem is you can only swap with a para pxt extractor, and they are mim so pretty much all the same size. My fix is putting in a thick EGW slide stop and not filing it, but rather filing the rear of the slide so as the stop remains thick,,, then i filed the forward groove of the power extractor (at the rear mounting point) (not the hook), to bring the front hook further back so as not being battered.... the only other minor issue i have is the gun rides the link, instead of the slide stop riding the lower lug like it should, it's an easy job hopefully with a smaller link, i will be ordering a whole set of sizes to make sure the lock up on the lugs to barrel is still good, "which now has tons of lock up"... saying your gun runs reliable is fine, but there still may be some issues that will eventually occur with useage... I should note that these 2 minor issues are very small and minor, and the gun is better made that 99% of other production 1911 guns, but with a 1911, it's best to know what to look for and fine tune her, para's a great company, and puts out a great gun... i am impressed so far, but sometimes even they need some fine tweeking to truly get 100%, but they start out closer than any other production gun, at very low costs... thats my assessment of para ordnance.......

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sounds kinda iffy

Hello guys/gals,

OK sounds like the "power extractors" kinda iffy then. If their the most in spec pistol out on the market then why are these extractors getting such a bad rap????

Well either way I made my purchase today on an "LDA" 5" in stainless steel. Pretty it is and I can't wait to get it in ten days.

Once again my same question. Can I buy any magazine or do I have to use/buy only Paras magazines????? If I don't has anyone tried the CMC with the "power springs"???? These I like the best for all my 45's and would like comments from you all if you tried them in your Paras.

rimfire,22

·
Banned
21 Posts
its not just the PXT extractor, lots of other guns will come with the same extractor issue no matter who mkes... as for riding the link i would say about 95% of production guns do that also... your not gonna get pefection for under $2000 but paras about as close as you will get....

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
OK sounds like the "power extractors" kinda iffy then. If their the most in spec pistol out on the market then why are these extractors getting such a bad rap????
'Bout the only real problem with the PXT is that you're not going to find one easily if you break one. I broke one - no fault of Para's. George sent me a replacement in a couple of days.

Well either way I made my purchase today on an "LDA" 5" in stainless steel. Pretty it is and I can't wait to get it in ten days.
Super! I hope you like it, and don't have any problems. DO expect to put a few rounds through it before it's 100%, though.

Once again my same question. Can I buy any magazine or do I have to use/buy only Paras magazines????? If I don't has anyone tried the CMC with the "power springs"???? These I like the best for all my 45's and would like comments from you all if you tried them in your Paras.
Para single-stackers can be expected to perform properly with about any decent .45 magazines.... Wilson Combat may be the best - at least I've never heard any complaints.... My 5" PX745EM (SA, not LDA) likes a couple of ancient GI magazines with Tripp Conversion kits as well as the two Para mags that came with it. It's also been happy with a Wilson that belongs to a buddy, and some others we occasionally toss at each other on the range.

(I'm a little more reserved about the newer-style Para magazines with the plastic "pinkie groove" bottoms. I may end up with some replacement springs for the ones I have. It's going to take a couple more weeks before I have an opinion :) . It's fun to test magazines, even if the thing hangs up once in a while. Para's older welded base mags seem fine.)

Regards,

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
'Bout the only real problem with the PXT is that you're not going to find one easily if you break one. I broke one - no fault of Para's. George sent me a replacement in a couple of days.

Super! I hope you like it, and don't have any problems. DO expect to put a few rounds through it before it's 100%, though.

Para single-stackers can be expected to perform properly with about any decent .45 magazines.... Wilson Combat may be the best - at least I've never heard any complaints.... My 5" PX745EM (SA, not LDA) likes a couple of ancient GI magazines with Tripp Conversion kits as well as the two Para mags that came with it. It's also been happy with a Wilson that belongs to a buddy, and some others we occasionally toss at each other on the range.

(I'm a little more reserved about the newer-style Para magazines with the plastic "pinkie groove" bottoms. I may end up with some replacement springs for the ones I have. It's going to take a couple more weeks before I have an opinion :) . It's fun to test magazines, even if the thing hangs up once in a while. Para's older welded base mags seem fine.)

Regards,

SMMAssociates,

Thanks for the informative response. When I get it I intend to start putting some rounds down range to get all broken in. Again I like CMC's and will try a couple ASAP. My problem is with the "Power Extractor". Seems too sophisicated too me. I like a clean tunnel and hate to try and remove all that stuff just to make it right.

rimfire,22

·
Banned
21 Posts
theres nothing complicated about the power extractor??? no more complicated than a regular one and is easily removed the same way, it is also a very good design... i would get over the power extractor if i were you, your making much too of it.....

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
rimfire:

(It's "Stu".... "SMM Associates" is my business. Please deposit 4 1911's here |_| as penance.... :biglaugh:)

While the PXT itself is a bit complex (there are two or three parts inside the thing, not counting the large rear piece and the hook, you don't need to take the PXT apart too often, and it's no worse that diddling with a hammer & sear, for example....

(I say "two or three parts", 'cause there's supposed to be three, but I can't get one out most of the time - the design ought to work about the same either way. I'm not sure the latest PXT I had apart actually had it....)

Once you get it out (they get sticky when not cleaned often enough) you get a BIG hole that's fairly easy to clean. A little lubricant on the hook/body joint & the little projection that holds 'em together, and you're more or less there. Pull the PXT itself apart when you've got the time.

I find it easier to beat a dirty PXT out of the tube too :) ....

I've got 3 PXT guns - about the only thing I can say about 'em is that when I had to replace one, it was a drop-in. Cleaning and such is a little more complex than the standard type, but you don't have to be quite as dental pick or toothpick with it. It'll work fairly well anyway....

Regards,

·
Registered
317 Posts
rimfire did you order a single or double stack, If its double I'll trade you my old non PXT double stack!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts